Clear specks all over pool surface?? Help, please!

MApool22

Jul 22, 2022
MA
Does anyone know what these tiny clear particles are on my pool surface? They started out of the blue last summer and here again this year but never had them any year before. We do not have a salt water pool, so not calcium flakes. I've tried everything (clarifier, enzymes, Jacks Surface Magic, ultra fine skimmer net, skimmer socks, filter checked) and nothing works. Pool perfect otherwise both chemistry and clarity. Wondering if it is from the gunite/Luna quartz (only 3 years old) eroding or something since they are kinda clear and glittery (like table salt) and you can only really see them when the sun hits the surface. Pool equipment all on the newer side too. Help please!

pool specks.jpgpool specks2.jpg
clear particles.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Since you don't have a salt pool, there are two questions I would start with:
1 - Can you post a full set of water test results? A TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C is what we refer to here.
2 - Any chance those particles are something local blowing onto the water's surface?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Since you don't have a salt pool, there are two questions I would start with:
1 - Can you post a full set of water test results? A TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C is what we refer to here.
2 - Any chance those particles are something local blowing onto the water's surface?
I use Pentair test kits, but here are my results:
Free Chl: 4
Total Chl: 4
CYA: 70
PH: 7.6
Akl: 100

Calcium: 300

No idea what the particles are, but nothing new for trees or plantings so not sure why this just started last summer. I've had pools most of my life and never had this issue before. Water is perfectly clear otherwise. Very strange and nobody can figure it out!?

Do you have an older composite roof on your house? If it is fiberglass base shingles, and deteriorating areas are exposed, and summer wind shift, you could be getting wind-blown flakes off that with the hot sun cooking the roof.

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have run through all my ideas. It is being added to the pool in some manner from somewhere.

I would keep investigating the surrounds. Our first inclination is that if it's in the pool it originated with the pool, but a pool is catch basin for all kinds of stuff in the air. This mystery of mine was finally narrowed down to coming 2 acre lots down from me: What is this yellow silly string in pool?
Yes, you could be right. I have been trying, but just don't know how to determine the source. How did you figure it out?

Yes, you could be right. I have been trying, but just don't know how to determine the source. How did you figure it out?
I put it all in the flower bed in a pile. When it didn't biodegrade after a long while, just bleached a little in the sun, I knew it wasn't organic. And, it stayed pliable. We had a big blow of a storm the eve before. I remembered the neighbor having a big birthday party for their grand-kid. So, I put my Sherlock hat on and came to the final conclusion that some silly string was hung up on some trees and the wind blew it to my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.