Clear specks all over pool surface?? Help, please!

I put it all in the flower bed in a pile. When it didn't biodegrade after a long while, just bleached a little in the sun, I knew it wasn't organic. And, it stayed pliable. We had a big blow of a storm the eve before. I remembered the neighbor having a big birthday party for their grand-kid. So, I put my Sherlock hat on and came to the final conclusion that some silly string was hung up on some trees and the wind blew it to my pool.
I wish this was just a one time thing too, but unfortunately it has been in the pool daily since last summer. No new trees or planting so I am at a loss.

Reactions: Lcts
I can’t really see what it is in the picture, but I used to get tiny, almost invisible particles of something floating all over the surface of the pool every morning. I changed to filtering 24/7 and whatever it is now collects in the skimmers, floating on the surface inside the skimmer housing. Whatever it is won’t wet and on days it’s enough of whatever it is to form a layer in there, I can scoop it out of the skimmer housing with a plastic cup, and it’s dry like ashes. I assume it’s insect or plant sourced — maybe spores of some kind — seems to come and go. Anyway, do you skim with your filter 24/7? May be worth a try to see if that helps.

You mentioned that it started out of the blue last summer.
You also stated that your roof is 1 year old. That means it was replaced last year.
Did this issue start last year before or after the roof was replaced?

I can’t really see what it is in the picture, but I used to get tiny, almost invisible particles of something floating all over the surface of the pool every morning. I changed to filtering 24/7 and whatever it is now collects in the skimmers, floating on the surface inside the skimmer housing. Whatever it is won’t wet and on days it’s enough of whatever it is to form a layer in there, I can scoop it out of the skimmer housing with a plastic cup, and it’s dry like ashes. I assume it’s insect or plant sourced — maybe spores of some kind — seems to come and go. Anyway, do you skim with your filter 24/7? May be worth a try to see if that helps.
The upper atmosphere can carry ash from wildfires thousands of miles away, to orange dust from African sand storms.

Reactions: SoDel
The upper atmosphere can carry ash from wildfires thousands of miles away, to orange dust from African sand storms.
I already filter 24/7. Strange because we never had this issue before last summer and now it is all the time, every day. When the sun hits it appears glittery so I can't seem to figure out what it could be coming from. If I had a salt pool I would think it was calcium carbonate particles.

You can also place a large 5 gallon bucket of water near the pool to see if it catches anything. Or a plastic kiddie pool. That completely rules out anything in your pool bring the root cause.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.