Clear, green, then clear???

We had a great deal of rain last week and I lapsed on checking the water for a few days. Well yesterday I went to check the levels and it needed some salt and FC was zero. I dumped some salt and a gallon of liquid chlorine. After about an hour or two it turned green. Well my Wife went today to buy more liquid chlorine so I could slam. We both get home this afternoon and the water is clear again. What gives? I still plan on slamming tonight/tomorrow .A905503D-0978-4C01-BDEC-D6A8C1645622.jpegE30A7B18-BB00-4C49-B502-49ABD863A13C.jpeg

Hey toohot !!! You got yourself some metals. Iron or copper. And they are going back and forth between soluble and insoluble. PH or high FC can make it appear like magic. Check the pic in post #6 in my man @mguzzy 's thread

Reactions: mguzzy
And wait till you hear THIS !!!!!!! Are you sitting down ???? Ahem.

Have your water checked at the pool store.

I know I know I KNOW !!!!! We always say to steer clear !!! But this is one that can only either be done by them, or an expensive private lab. They actually have pretty decent results too.

If it turns green and back in again in the span of hours.. its not algae.. its IRON! Either that or as in the Land of Oz they say, "You have a pool of a different color". I watched that happen to mine in about 20 min. The chlorine is changing the pH and causing the Iron to change form and come out of solutions.. Look at the pic in this wiki.. does it look familiar?:

So.. if you bring your FC up again and while it is green, you can filter out the iron that is in solution with the polyfill in your skimmer basked trick.. Look at my pool in the thread that the Dude linked to.. If you feel a hankering to do a SLAM I would do a OCLT first and see if it is really necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Off Amazon but I need to see the actual 3rd part seller. I did not open it yet but I wasn’t happy when it spilled all over my counter.
That’s the reason I stopped ordering reagents from Amazon. You never know what you’ll get (I had past issues being sent expired reagents).

Reactions: Toohotonthebayou
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.