Clear Blue Water but still new algae everyday

I think @bjsbuds is shocking for mustard algae. That would explain the 24 ppm.
If that is what he's trying to do he is doing it wrong. 24ppm was not the target for mustard algae for the 30ppm he has been reporting prior to today. You don't do a whole slam at mustard algae levels. You finish a regular slam by meeting all 3 criteria for a completed slam then raise the FC to mustard algae level for 24 hours only.

bjsbuds has been targeting 24ppm for the last several days when he was reporting a CYA level of 30. There are multiple posts on the last 2 pages of this thread that state he is targeting his FC level too high for his CYA level, and he has not acknowledged any of them, nor has he reported lowering his target FC to the appropriate level.

Reactions: Donldson
I think @bjsbuds is shocking for mustard algae. That would explain the 24 ppm.
No. @bjsbuds kept reporting a different, and lower CYA level on at least three separate occasions. Each time they reported a lower CYA level, the recommended FC level changed as members here used the CYA level the OP reported to give them the SLAM level off the FC/CYA chart.

I've read this entire thread (even the portion that was last year's SLAM, as the OP successfully did a SLAM last year, then tacked onto the thread when they needed to SLAM this year) and there was no mention of mustard algae that I recall seeing. Only the dropping CYA level.

bjsbuds has been targeting 24ppm for the last several days when he was reporting a CYA level of 30. There are multiple posts on the last 2 pages of this thread that state he is targeting his FC level too high for his CYA level, and he has not acknowledged any of them, nor has he reported lowering his target FC to the appropriate level.
Not entirely true. The OP mentioned how they were confused because they were told so many different FC levels to use in the SLAM process. It wasn't till I went back through the thread that I realized that the CYA level reported by the OP was dropping, which hadn't seemed to be caught by the members here. So it's not entirely surprising the OP was confused and refused to lower the FC level.

They have just redone the CYA test and got a value of 40, which would put the FC level at 16 for a SLAM.

Good morning,
Just tested, FC is 21, with my target being 24. It is cloudy and raining here in OH, third day in a row. Tested CYA, holding waist high on the deck with a much light as I could get. CYA = 40. Is there something more I should be doing? I am headed down to put 1/2 jug more bleach in according to PoolMath before heading off to work.
By as much light as you could, you don't mean direct sunlight on the tube, do you? As I mentioned before, the rest should be done in sunlight if possible but with your back to the sun. Direct sunlight would skew the test to the lower part of the scale. And yes, everyone hates this test because it's very difficult to get an accurate reading.

As to other things, the SLAM article just mentions brushing the pool once a day. Are you doing that?

Back home around 10:30 am, tested and FC was 24. I was so encouraged. Tested at 1:30pm, FC was down to 17. The sun popped out this afternoon for a bit. I first scrubbed the walls, then added 1 jug of bleach, and then scrubbed the floor. That is a long process. We have been brushing diligently the past few days.

I am treating for mustard algae. I could run my Dolphin and take a photo of the brown grit, that I am assuming is mustard algae. It is one the steps for every time I go down, and then I brush it off into the pool.

I am about out of both the R-0870 & R-0871 (XL version) I ordered from TFtestkits a couple weeks ago. I have ordered more that is to arrive tomorrow.

I am willing to lower the FC level if that is appropriate, I just don't want someone to tell me all of this so far has been a waste. Last year I was told to keep FC level at 30. Treated for the exact same thing.

I have a gallon of stabilizer if someone thinks I should be raising my CYA?

If you have brown grit that doesn't "poof" when you brush it it's probably dirt. Can you pick it up? Rub it with your foot? Mustard algae will not just brush away.

You should follow the CYA/FC chart to determine your FC level.

If you do need to continue to SLAM, you should not raise your CYA if it is 30-40. Only after the SLAM and when you are using your SWCG.

I don't think that it's mustard. The stuff on the steps looks like it might be black algae, but it's really hard to tell for sure.

The stuff in the bag looks like sand.

When is the last time that you cleaned the cartridges?

Can you pull them out and get a picture of them before you clean them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They were dirty. I have this cartridge cleaning tool that goes between the pleats. Cleaned each filter, and then turned them upside down and cleaned them again, until the brown was no longer present. I have my original filters soaking in TSP in a large trash can.

SCREAM! Was pretty sure based upon comments that I didn't have mustard algae, but rather dirt & grit getting into the pool from the concrete decking. So, I got the chemicals at the recommended PM levels, and added 200 lbs. of salt. A day later I turned on the SWG and all lights read green. Water test revealed 3,400 for salt level. Finally, I thought.

We had one heck of a storm last night, so much rain that the water level is at the top of the skimmer inlets. Looked at the water and what the heck do I see, mustard algae covering every seam in the liner and a few patches around the floor. I get the brush out and push it, poof. Nope, that is not dirt & grit. Two hours later it is over the seams again. It's pouring again, so I won't go down to get a water sample to test until it stops.

I just cannot believe this. Now what?

I concede. I thought I could do it with Pool Math and following advice from experts on this forum. After slamming my pool for days and putting in over 50 jugs of bleach, I am no where. I am going to call some pool companies tomorrow to hire someone to come look and care for it. Pool ownership should not be this exhausting and stressful. :(

I'm sorry to say that your pictures look just like my pool looked like when I couldn't keep it away. It behaved the same way in my pool and my journey was a frustrating one also. If you used your auto pool cleaner during the outbreak, use a bleach solution to clean it thoroughly.

Pharmcoder, Looks like we have similar equipment, cement coping, pump, Dolphin, etc. I always bleach the filters before reusing them in the Dolphin. Please share your journey. This is my second year of mustard algae, and weeks trying to get rid of it. Thought it was over, but obviously never cleared. It kills me how much money I have spent on bleach and salt, and now I am back at step 1.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.