Cleaning up ash from pools...

Killer95Stang

Aug 17, 2012
Sunny SoCal
We are dealing with fires here in CA like a lot people around the US. Fortunately, I was only affected with bad air and tons of ash falling all over the place. Obviously, some people have it a lot worse than we do, and I do feel bad for them. I don't want to make this a debate about first world problems here, just want to move forward. Without sports, this is my current getaway without having politics involved. With that said, when this is all over, we have to deal with the aftermath. Honestly, I don't even know how to start cleaning up around the main parts of the house, because using a blower, would just make it worse for the neighbors. Using a hose, will send it all down into the storm drains. The only thing I can control is probably the pool.

I did test and my PH was higher than normal, which is probably due to the ash. My plan is to run the filter 24/7 and probably vacuum out the pool a couple times, then end with a backwash of the filter.

Maybe someone has better ideas.

Ash from CA fires.

Other members in the past have threads on your issue. Do a search. Most came to cleaning it out as you said. Maintain your chemistry. pH rise may or may not be from the ash. Most members in the past did not see any chemistry effects from the ash.

Just keep your head up - it was bad here a couple of years ago from a hurricane that came through. Couldn't believe what my pool looked like the next day - literally couldn't see the bottom. Pick a starting point and begin to move forward. You'll get there. Good Luck

We normally have hair nets in the skimmers. When the African dust clouds hit a couple months back, I switched to actual skimmer socks. They're thicker and stop finer particles. Also last longer. Also, our robot collected more dirt than I've seen before or since.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.