Cleaning up after Laura

KingpenM3

Jul 2, 2020
Louisiana
My pool is an absolute mess now that it has just sat with debris for weeks now. Is it possible to save this water? Or should i try the tarp method to replace? I guess these are my only options since you can't drain a fiber glass pool. Thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20200911_150255036.jpg
    PXL_20200911_150255036.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 36
Skim out the debris and follow the SLAM Process. The water will clear with sufficient chlorine and filtering.

Post a complete set of test results...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT

We're happy to talk you thru a SLAM. I would suggest you get a jump start and reorder your FC/CC test reagent now so you don't run out. That is the one test you'll be doing a LOT during the SLAM process.

Your pool is *far* from the worst we've seen.... would you believe we've seen pools with treees and animals living in swamps clear up!

Maddie

Here... We... Go.

Got power back today.

First SLAM, heck the pool is only a few months old!

I'm sure I've already got some of this wrong but here we go.

Went ahead and assumed that the fcl was 0, used pool math and based on my 65 cya preston, put in 7 gallons of 6% bleach to get up to about 25 Cl.

Ran the pump on recirculate for an hour.

Tested-
Ph- 8.4
Fcl-2.5
Tcl- 12
Alk- 212
CH- 110
Cya- 0!!
Salt is reading good on the swg.

Does cya=0 make sense?
Did I way over do the chlorine since it is saying there is no cya?
Is there any issue with bleaching the fiberglass pool putting in that much bleach (poured slowly by the return in the deep end)?

About to put enough muriatic acid to drop the pH to 7.2.

Thank all of yall for the help!!!

I'm wondering about ammonia? You went a long time without power, etc......

Maddie

I'm wondering about ammonia? You went a long time without power, etc......

Maddie

If it was ammonia then the 7 gallons of 6% got rid of it with FC now 2.5.

Add 30 ppm of CYA and continue the SLAM Process with a FC of 12.

No risk of bleaching your pool with FC of 2.5.

12 hours in and I feel like a brought a hair spritzer to a wildfire. Seems to look even worse with everything stirred up. No color change. Those piles of limbs/leaves at the end are all from the last day. Probably had gotten 3x that out before hand. The two biggest limbs I had to lift out with a front end loader! What a mess.

Morning numbers-
FC-1.34
TC 5.9
pH-7.3
cya- 5

Ran out of bleach, so I put in 4 lbs of cal-hypo. Got a lot more debris out. Wife is going to pick up 20 gallons of bleach and hopefully some more cya if Walmart still has some in stock.

PXL_20200916_121855892.jpg

Just FYI -- you cannot accomplish this with your current test kit. You need at minimum a FAS-DPD test kit. Also remember the CH test will not be correct with the ColorQ, if that is an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need some words of reassurance. This thing is nasty, but I'm dumping a bunch of bleach in, and just not seeing the FC rise. I'm assuming that all of the junk/algae is attaching onto all of that Clorine, but is it normal to just not see the expected rise when testing yet? This afternoon i tested at 2.0 ppm fc, then I added 3 gallons of bleach, and just went up to 3.0 fc/ 9.2 tc.

Be aware if your FC is above 10 ppm, your current test equipment will bleach out and not give proper answers.

So its no easy task but whatever gunk is at the bottom needs to go. Once its gone, the pool will turn blue but cloudy in a matter of hours. The organics at the bottom will eat most of whatever FC you add until then. This is one of the rare times that a manual vac can't be beat. The robots and PSC's will eventually get it all, but they just don't have the same oomph. If you have the ability to manually vac, you'll be doing it blindly at first but it doesnt matter. Go side to side, front to back, corner to corner and then start back on side to side and keep repeating. Let it settle for 15 min between vacs. Each pass will stir some more up. Eventually you'll get it all.

Reactions: KingpenM3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.