DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So searching through the forum I have seen dish detergent and TSP used for cleaning. I pulled mine this weekend and had a lot of dirt and kind of a slimy milky stuff on them. Some areas of the filters were stained and didn't want to come clean. I used the Aqua Comb on them. I'm wondering what solutions are best?
I have high phosphates in the pool now, should I stay away from TSP....I do however keep my FC around 5.
Can TSP be applied by spray bottle or is soaking the only way to go?
Does dish soap take a while to rinse out?

DO NOT use dish soap (Dawn, etc.). DishWASHER detergent is OK. The best thing you can use is a commercially available cartridge cleaner. They have the right combination of cleaners to do the job. Overnight soaking is the best way, though there are sprays that work somewhat OK on a filter that is not real dirty. Pleatco makes tablets that you just throw into the container with your filters and water.

Thanks 1poolman1. So dishwasher soap being the powder stuff and mix in a bottle. I'll have to look for some cartridge cleaner. If I'm doing it 3 times a year, I could probably swing the inflated cost....maybe.

Thanks 1poolman1. So dishwasher soap being the powder stuff and mix in a bottle. I'll have to look for some cartridge cleaner. If I'm doing it 3 times a year, I could probably swing the inflated cost....maybe.
If you use a product like Cascade, it takes at least a true cup measurement (about 8oz.) to make a solution strong enough to soak cartridges in. You can pick up true TSP at Lowe's for about $6-7. The one-pound box is enough for two soaks. A better option, just keep it off of any asphalt you may have.
You can find the Pleatco filter cleaner tablet online for a $5-6 each. Very convenient.

A buddy had good success with Cascade pods. I'm pretty sure he used only one in a blue 35 gallon plastic drum. ($10-$25 on the Offerup App).

I used the big green landscaping bucket but will buy a drum one of these days just for the cartridges. The landscaping bucket is often full of landscaping debris when I need it.

Thank ya'll for the advice. I'm not sure I really want to have to soak. I kind of want to get it over with in a couple of hours., plus space in my garage is a premium to store big buckets. I might try some spray on solution and let load for a bit and hit with my Aqua-comb, which is pretty good IMO. Beats just spraying it with a hose.
Now I did see the tablets that you mention 1poolman1. I'll check these out again. At first glance it seemed like a gimmick.

Thank ya'll for the advice. I'm not sure I really want to have to soak. I kind of want to get it over with in a couple of hours., plus space in my garage is a premium to store big buckets. I might try some spray on solution and let load for a bit and hit with my Aqua-comb, which is pretty good IMO. Beats just spraying it with a hose.
Now I did see the tablets that you mention 1poolman1. I'll check these out again. At first glance it seemed like a gimmick.
Nope, I've used them on my filter, they work well. From my experience, this is the best spray cleaner, not cheap but works, just stay upwind as it is a little strong:

Bio-Dex Cartridge Cleaner Quick Spray CART32 by Bio-Dex​

Thanks poolman, I was just looking at this stuff. I saw this and Jacks Magic Power Blue cartridge cleaner. The Bio-Dex is cheaper than the Jack's Magic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.