Cleaning IC40 Cell

May 15, 2018
Front Range
I’ve searched threads as best I can, so hope this is not redundant...

Last Friday, I installed a z-wave smart switch and started running the pump and chlorinator from 9am to 6pm, but didn’t think to Increase the output percentage, so it was running only at 40% all week. I noticed the water looked dull yesterday afternoon. Checked and FC had dropped from 6.0 on Monday To 2.0. (All other test results are perfectly in range) so, I went to increase the chlorination and saw the cell light slowly flashing green. I checked the “life” and it’s at 40%. Removed the cell to clean, which has never been necessary after the past three seasons, and still there is no visible buildup in there at all. Will acid washing hurt? Are there any other suggestions?

Finally, if the cleaning doesn’t work, and I have to replace this cell, I would prefer not to give Pentair another penny. Is it possible to simply switch to the CircuPool RJ45? Is that the most economical solution?

thanks.

You should not clean the cell with acid if no scale is in the plates. Spray some water through them in case anything is lodged in there.

If the cell is bad, you can replace with the Circupool unit. You will have to do some plumbing work. You do not have automation controlling the SWCG as there is none shown in your signature.

You can use the timer you have for your SWCG now for the Circupool. If you do not have a timer, you should have one. The SWCG needs to be powered completely off when the pump is not running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.