Cleaning DE filter - are the instructions pretty generic, I can't tell what model I have

heckofagator

Bronze Supporter
Oct 6, 2021
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
In our new house, there's an older Stay Rite DE filter which has a pretty high pressure reading. I'd like to backwash and clean it this weekend but I do not know the model number. The stickers on the filter are all faded out. Do any of these models have any particulars that must be followed or is a DE filter a DE filter? I've watched a few YouTube videos and I think it looks pretty straight forward but I just wanted to check before I got too far along and realized I don't have all of the info I needed.

Will I need to guestimate how much DE I need to put back in to recharge?

thanks!

Post a photo of the filter and someone may be able to identify it.

It is important to add the proper amount of DE after cleaning. Most DE filters use one pound for each 10 sq/ft. of the surface area of the grids. As an example, mine is an 80 sq/ft. filter and takes 8 pound of DE. If yours is a grid type filter, you can measure the surface area of the grids to get an estimate of the amount DE.

If you've looked at videos and diagrams online, you should be able to handle reassembly with basic DIY skills. Look at parts diagrams online to identify the locations of o-rings and make sure they are present and in good shape. Don't mess around with couplers or external connections if they're not leaking. Use the proper silicone-based pool lube during reassembly. If you run into issues, post for assistance.

Last edited:
thanks all. Filter is 35" tall and about 18-19" in diameter at the locking ring. I can make out a few numbers here and there on the label but nothing that leads me anywhere. Although maybe I see "5.4 lbs"? Would the label tell you how much filter media to add?

20220122_103409.jpg

20220122_103348.jpg

20220122_103401.jpg

getting closer - thanks guys.

The washed out first pic says "DE" at the very top (I think)

The pump def says System 2 and the measurements are semi close, the in and out plumbing are verticially aligned and different from the PLD70 picture.
The plumbing on the System 3 looks closer, unless the sticker is wrong on ours.

Will keep looking. I do have a backwash valve connected and the std blue hoses (that are all rotted out)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All of the PLD series, including the one I think I have, the PLD36, seem to have a 36 sq foot filter, so 3.5 scoops?

You guys are great

Go to this link and download the manual - hopefully that provided the needed info.
My guess is it's a PLDE36 and takes 5.4 lbs of DE for a full disassembly and clean out.

My bet is Sta-rite PLM cartridge filter….

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.