Clean-up after 8" of rain in 5 hours - UPDATE

Jul 15, 2013
Germantown, TN
We just had the worst rain event of my life here in Memphis. They're estimating that the metro area got anywhere from 8" - 11" over a 4 hour period last night. It's tough to say for sure because most people's rain gauges overflowed :).

Anyways, my pool was nice and blue yesterday, now it looks like this. My initial thought is to run the pump 24/7 for a few days to see if that clears it up, maybe add a little flocculent. Is that the best course of action or would you guys drain a certain amount and start over? My concern about starting over is not only the water bill, but getting the salt correct again.

IMG_20190607_082718.jpg

Sorry for the double-post. Didn't realize until after I posted that I accidentally put this in "Just Getting Started". I think this forum is the more appropriate place.

We just had the worst rain event of my life here in Memphis. They're estimating that the metro area got anywhere from 8" - 11" over a 4 hour period last night. It's tough to say for sure because most people's rain gauges overflowed :).

Anyways, my pool was nice and blue yesterday, now it looks like this. My initial thought is to run the pump 24/7 for a few days to see if that clears it up, maybe add a little flocculent. Is that the best course of action or would you guys drain a certain amount and start over? My concern about starting over is not only the water bill, but getting the salt correct again.IMG_20190607_082718.jpg

Was this due to run off into the pool?
No flocculant.

Can you post a full set of test results? With run off into the pool going into the SLAM Process process and filtering is the best plan of action.

Was this due to run off into the pool?
No flocculant.

Can you post a full set of test results? With run off into the pool going into the SLAM Process process and filtering is the best plan of action.

Thanks Marty. Apparently I'm too stupid to live as I now see I double posted in the same thread....so dumb. Feel free to delete the duplicate post. I can't figure out how to do it.

Yes, 100% due to run-off from my yard into the pool. This just happened overnight so I haven't had a chance to take a water sample up to the pool store yet. My strips show the following:

It's a SWG pool.

IMG_20190607_123701.jpg

It sucks, but you need to rebalance the "new" water for ph and alkalinity, then shock with liquid chlorine, then tweak the chemistry after shocking. If you have a dummy pipe for your SWG put it on fir now. Maintain your filter while all of the things which contribute to cloudiness are getting filtered out.

Salt takes a while to absorb so worry about salt concentration after the pool is cleared up from manual shocking and filtration. Use a TDS/salt tester or salt testing DPD style kit to see where you're at, then add the necessary amount to reach your goal. Brush the salt around periodically and brush it into the main drain for faster dissolving. 8" of rain is a small percentage of the pool's volume so you shouldn't need too much. You should be ready to resume SWG operation in a couple days.

You'll want to check your stabilizer level and add cyanuric acid if necessary.

I agree with Marty, no flocculant for now. Until this clears up consider running your pump 24/7 while watching your pressure to clean/backwash your filter. Remove all the sediment by vacuum or leaf rake, etc. Keep a close eye on your chemicals to avoid losing control of balance. If you have a swg, it may be easier to turn it off and raise your fc up from normal and temporarily keep the higher level with liquid chlorine. At this point I don't think a drain is necessary. Give it at least 48 hours to begin to clear up.

+1 what mknauss said. No floc. Run your pump 24/7, backwash your filter if the pressure rises by 25% or more, and KEEP AN ELEVATED LEVEL OF CHLORINE IN YOUR POOL UNTIL YOUR POOL IS CLEAR.

You really need a test kit......either the Taylor K2006C or the TFTestkits TF-100.

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the double-post and crappy test strip picture. I know you guys hate those test strips. I actually bought a Taylor Troubleshooter kit with a DPD test a few years ago...I just never use it because my pool is very easy to maintain. Just a little muriatic acid every now and then and a bag or two of salt each summer and it stays pretty clear.

Sounds like a drain isn't necessary. I'll keep my filter running 24/7 for a few days, jack up the chlorine, and backwash every day. Hopefully it will clear up in a couple days.

-Jason

Well, after running the pump and polaris 24/7 for 1 week and keeping elevated chlorine levels for much of that time, I can now see bottom again! I'm pretty sure everything is dead from the SLAM, now just gotta keep running the pump to get that fine silt out of the pool and clear up the water. Not crystal clear yet, but way better than where it was this time last week.

This is what it looks like this morning.
IMG_20190614_101158.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.