Clarification of steps.

Aug 19, 2016
Americus, KS
Pool opened today. I can see the bottom, but there was a hole in the cover, so there is a nice layer of green dust on the bottom.
Ph less than 7.
CYA 0
FC 0
Temp 60.

So, first.....raise the pH to at least 7.2.
Then add CYA.

What confuses me is the "no backwashing for a week".
What if the pressure goes up? Can I backwash or not?

So, I added soda to increase the pH. Should I add stabilizer to increase the CYA? Then SLAM next weekend?

I bought tons of liquid chlorine today, but it's the first time I've opened a green pool and my COVID fried Nurse brain can't remember the proper steps.

Thank you all!

What confuses me is the "no backwashing for a week".
That's not true unless you add stabilizer directly to the skimmer which goes to the filter undissolved. That's why we recommend the sock-soaking method. Once it's all dissolved, it's in. Good-to-go. Then you can backwash whenever you need to.

SLAM next weekend? Are you saying you have to work or can't start until then?

No, I was misunderstanding the "no backwash".
I always do the sock method.
So, once my ph is up to at least 7.2, I can add the sock, and start my SLAM?

I'll have the rest of today, all day tomorrow, then I go back to work, so it will be mornings/evenings.

I would let the pump run for a half hour to circulate the water and then retest everything n go from there. Adjust pH if you need to and add CYA and start the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.