Citric acid instead of Muriatic acid?

johnau

Aug 19, 2013
Charleston, SC
Hi, this is probably a dumb question.
I have some recurring stains on my vinyl. Citric acid takes care of it, at least for a while. I added Citric acid early this spring and cleaned up nicely, but stains are coming back.

Also, since I switched to using using SWG last summer, my PH tends to go up so i'm using Muriatic acid to control it.

i'm wondering if i could kill 2 birds with one stone and use Citric acid instead of Muriatic acid to both lower my PH and control stains?

Thanks!

Use muriatic acid for PH adjustments.

Further reading:

While an ascorbic acid treatment works well for removing some stains, the elements of the stain go into solution in the pool water. In order to hold it in solution, one needs to use a sequesterent to keep it in solution. This would require the addition of sequesterent on an ongoing basis. The other option is to do the ascorbic acid treatment, and after all stains are removed, do a complete drain/refill. But if the staining is do to your fill water, the staining will return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.