Citric Acid to lower PH?

DVandy

Jun 28, 2016
Grand Rapids, MI
Was looking for information about citric acid as a safer or more gentle "natural" option for lowering ph but can't find much about it. Any one have experiences with this? Good or stay away? I'm on the BBB method and been loving it, but my ph is 7.8 so hoping to lower it a touch without getting other levels out of whack (they're nearly perfect). Just wondered in general about citric acid. I also heard it may render chlorine (or bleach) ineffective for days. Wonder too about effects on the pool itself or other chemical levels and stability? Thoughts?

CYA = 44
PH = 7.8
FC = 3.6
Alkalinity = 96

Your stomach is full of muriatic acid, sounds pretty "natural" to me. Chlorine reacts with citric acid producing chloroform among other byproducts, so certainly doesn't sound "safer" to me either. Muriatic acid is the most pure way to lower your pH.

I'm on the BBB method and been loving it

CYA = 44
PH = 7.8
FC = 3.6
Alkalinity = 96

My first thought is how are you testing to get specific numbers like CYA 44 and TA 96?

My second thought is that your TA is a little too high. Most of us find that the 60 - 80 range allows us to use less acid as the pH remains steadier.

My thirt thought is that BBB is a old term, bleach baking soda borax, we like TFPC, trouble free pool care, since is more accurately describes the process as many people don't need borax or baking soda.

Was looking for information about citric acid as a safer or more gentle "natural" option for lowering ph but can't find much about it. Any one have experiences with this? Good or stay away? I'm on the BBB method and been loving it, but my ph is 7.8 so hoping to lower it a touch without getting other levels out of whack (they're nearly perfect). Just wondered in general about citric acid. I also heard it may render chlorine (or bleach) ineffective for days. Wonder too about effects on the pool itself or other chemical levels and stability? Thoughts?

CYA = 44
PH = 7.8
FC = 3.6
Alkalinity = 96
Muriatic acid will end up as salt in the pool.

How are you testing? Are those pool $tore results?

- - - Updated - - -

I've been told over and over to keep my TA between 90 and 115, I keep having to re-learn differently. Like teaching an old dog new tricks. Every season I need to re-learn what I forgot over the winter and then learn more. I'm still pretty new at this, having just bought our home with a pool a couple of years ago. Regarding "BBB," you mentioned many don't need borax or baking soda. What is being used in replacement of those?

- - - Updated - - -

Testing using my LaMotte SpinLab (I typically test 2x's to compare).

Thanks so much for any feedback regarding citric acid.

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

I've been told over and over to keep my TA between 90 and 115, I keep having to re-learn differently. Like teaching an old dog new tricks. Every season I need to re-learn what I forgot over the winter and then learn more. I'm still pretty new at this, having just bought our home with a pool a couple of years ago. Regarding "BBB," you mentioned many don't need borax or baking soda. What is being used in replacement of those?

- - - Updated - - -

Testing using my LaMotte SpinLab (I typically test 2x's to compare).

Thanks so much for any feedback regarding citric acid.

Spin lab? Holy cow, you could have bought a TF-100 and a lifetime supply of reagents instead.

https://www.amazon.com/LaMotte-Company-2V40-3576-WATERLINK/dp/B00S72MRS6

Isn't routine calibration needed with the spin lab?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.