Circupool RJ45+ Install Dummy Cell

ATXSalty

Aug 3, 2022
austin, tx
I have removed my RJ45+ salt cell and the cord that connects to the main unit and installed the dummy cell. The main unit says "Cell Connection" and I don't know how to turn off the unit. Is there anything else I need to do or does it just say "Cell Connection" all winter?

You should be able to simply hit the power button on the module to turn off the unit.
I figured out if I keep the salt cell with the cord attached to the unit it will turn off when I turn the pump off and stay off when I turn it back on. The SWG is connected to the timer with the pump.

However, if I remove the cable it displays "cell connection" and I'm not able to turn it off manually.

I'd like to remove the salt cell with the cord and keep it in my garage during the winter.

FYI...I'm in Texas and I keep my pool open year round. Any ideas on why I have to keep the cord connected to the main unit to keep the power off?

How is the SWG control box getting electric power? Through a timer?

What type pool pump do you have? Single speed or variable speed?

However, if I remove the cable it displays "cell connection" and I'm not able to turn it off manually.
That seems odd. I always turn off power at the module first. With power off, I can do anything I wanrt to the cell - which I do. I remove it (and the cell cord) for cleaning.

Why did you remove the SWCG and how will you chlorinate now?

My SWCG will run ~10 months or more in a calendar year. Curious why you are storing it for “winter” in Austin.

Why did you remove the SWCG and how will you chlorinate now?

My SWCG will run ~10 months or more in a calendar year. Curious why you are storing it for “winter” in Austin.
I read that the SWG won't run if the water is below 65 degrees and that it's not good to have it running in colder temps especially when it's freezing.

This was my first summer having a SWG so any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Through a timer and single speed.
As @Texas Splash said - with the cell connected, shut power off using the button in the control module, then disconnect the cell from the module. If that doesn't work - and you are comfortable around electric - remove all power to the timer and then disconnect the SWG control module power wires from the timer.

The SWG cutoff is lower than 65*. But if you don't want to have to be concerned about the SWG cell being damaged in freezing weather (and a possible concurrent power loss), pulling the cell now is prudent. And it's a lot easier when it's not freezing and dark outside.
Just use liquid chlorine to keep your FC at the proper level according to your CYA - FC/CYA Levels. Dose with liquid for a non-SWG pool anytime the SWG is not functioning.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I read that the SWG won't run if the water is below 65 degrees and that it's not good to have it running in colder temps especially when it's freezing.

This was my first summer having a SWG so any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
Never heard of any concerns of running a SWCG in cooler water - my RJ60 will produce down into the mid-50's, I think.
Given your climate and mine, I think you have very very little concern with leaving the cell in production, outside. I don't worry about it all.

When the water temp finally dips enough to stop production, I've only used a single 3" tablets in a floater every week or so to maintain FC and add back a little CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Im in Houston and my water is 56 right now. If the SWG temp sensor wasnt messed up it would have stopped producing by now. I use the dummy cell as well. I just disconnect the cell and hold the power button on the control box and it doesnt come on anymore. Perhaps try powering off the box before disconnecting the cell, so the cell connection error wont hang you up?

I have it wired to my single speed timer as well. If the power button wont work I suppose you can disconnect it from the timer just be careful. If you have the usual Intermatic timer, a few of those screws are always hot with 220v so turn it off at the breaker. I also put dielectric grease in the cell connector on the box and tape over it. The first winter I used the dummy cell, there were dead bugs in there for some reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.