Circupool RJ 60+ Low Temperature warning - will not auto reset

Mike_d_s

Apr 5, 2021
Katy, TX
TFP members,

Recently registered, but have lurked here for some good info on maintaining my first pool. I wanted to share the feedback I got from DiscountSaltPool tech today. I did some googling and searching here and didn't find a thread that covered this info specifically so figured I'd share for others.

Bought the house in May with a CP RJ60 that was installed around mid 2019. The unit has been working fine. When temps started getting low I switched over to tablets and turned the system off. Now that it's warmer, I've turned the system back on and noticed what I thought was a weird behavior. The system runs fine in the daytime, but overnight my current pump cycle turns completely off for about 6 hours and the water temp in the piping gets into the 40s/50s. The RJ60 throws a low temp error as expected, but once the temps warm up back into the 60s, the low temp error stays and the system won't run.

From an electronics perspective, I was expecting that the error would be a live status and when it warmed up it would go away and the system would just work. But I noticed that I kept having to power cycle the unit to clear the warning even when the temps were warm enough according to the unit's temperature sensor.

I thought I might have a bad unit, but calling DSP they told me that once the low temp flag is set the unit will not self-recover and the power must be cycled to reset it. Seems like not great software design to me, but according to the tech its expected behavior. So for the early spring/late fall it means you have to either stick with an alternate chlorine source until the temps are warm enough at night, run the pump on low 24 hrs to keep the water circulating so the piping stays above air temp, or power cycle the system every day or so to reset it.

Figured I'd share here since this info wasn't easily found via google or search and some other new RJ+ owner may have the same question.

Mike

Welcome to the forum!
TFPC recommends that the SWCG system be completely powered down (power removed with a timer or other device) when the pump is off. This would remove this issue.
The reason the system should have no power when the pump is off is due to safety. Removing power is the primary safety device. The flow switch is the secondary safety device. If you only rely on the flow switch, and it fails (they do), the cell can explode. Does not happen often, but it does happen.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
TFPC recommends that the SWCG system be completely powered down (power removed with a timer or other device) when the pump is off. This would remove this issue.
The reason the system should have no power when the pump is off is due to safety. Removing power is the primary safety device. The flow switch is the secondary safety device. If you only rely on the flow switch, and it fails (they do), the cell can explode. Does not happen often, but it does happen.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Appreciate the input and I get the safety concern. Not trying to downplay, but my gut says hard booting the controller every day might be an issue for longevity of the electronics?

I haven't investigated the flow switch circuit, but I'm guessing its a basic open/closed behavior electrically? If so, could maybe run the flow switch through a relay on the Aqualink to achieve similar effect where failure of the flow switch itself can't activate the generator unless the relay is closed which I could schedule with the pump cycle.

I can easily see a failed flow switch, but is there much history with the controllers themselves flaking out and running the generator irrespective of the flow switch condition?

Mike

What pump do you have?

How is your pump powered?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

You may be able to power the SWG from your filter/pump relay and have it turn on and off with your pump.

What pump do you have?

How is your pump powered?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

You may be able to power the SWG from your filter/pump relay and have it turn on and off with your pump.
Allen,

Added signature like you recommended. I can see that would make it easy for people to figure out what I'm dealing with.

The pump main power is on a relay and there is a adapter box to set one of the three speed which are programmed on the pump side. I could probably just run the SWG on the pump power relay, but I'm very comfortable and moderately experienced doing electrical work, so in my head adding the additional relay give me some additional flexibility including the ability to have summer/winter programs.

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.