CircuPool Fan runs even when not producing chlorine?

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
While walking past the CircuPool control unit this afternoon I heard a noise coming from the unit. Placing my ear to the unit I noticed that the internal fan is running. Is it normal for the fan to be running when the unit isn't producing chlorine? The power and low flow lights are lit.

EDIT - My memory failed me. It's "No Flow" not "Low Flow." Dang those rhyming words. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I haven't really paid attention to a fan blowing in mine. I'll have to try and listen next time I'm out there. But my green Power light is always on. I don't have a Low Flow, but I have a No Flow indicator. If that comes on I'm looking to see if the filter is dirty or pump set too low that may be impacting water flow to the flow switch. Hopefully the flow switch itself is installed correctly as well.

Reactions: sbcpool
Mine's not wired to a timer because the pump is going to be replaced in a couple of weeks with a variable flow that has its own timer. The flow switch triggers on/off. The unit starts producing a few seconds after flow starts and stops within a second or two of flow stopping, so I'm assuming it's all working well. I just didn't know if the fan is supposed to run all the time. I'm guessing it may be thermostat controlled, but not controlled by the flow switch (meaning it will run when the unit is warm even if it's warm because it's 100 degrees outside).

Just be careful about that method controlling the power though. The Flow Switch is ideally a back-up to water flow loss and not supposed to be your primary On/Off trigger. In my case, my RJ is plugged-in and on 24/7 just like my pump, but it's on a lower output % setting. If I turn off my pump, I turn off the module first. You might get-by for a while, it's just not ideal is all.

The SWCG needs its own timer so it can be scheduled to have power when the pump is scheduled to run.
A SWCG powered on without flow can explode.

Some people will connect their SWG to the same pump timer so that they run together (i.e. Intermatic). Once you get your VSP this is all a moot point since you'll probably connect your SWG to the VSP. Maybe for now you can just do like mine - let the pump run on low 24/7 with the module on 24/7 as well but at a lower output %?

Reactions: markayash
I was going by the CircuPool manual that says:

For use with Variable Speed Pumps: When used with variable speed or other electronically controlled pumps, you may wish to wire the Control Module directly to your power source. This will allow the pump to determine when the Cell is energized or dormant by activation of the Flow Switch.

It sounds like that's a dangerous configuration. I was thinking a separate timer for the pump and SWG was pointless because they'll get out of sync fairly quickly (why nobody can make accurate clocks is another topic) and it will end up supplying power when the pump isn't active anyway, whether at the beginning or end of the pump cycle depending on whether the timer is fast or slow relative to the pump's timer.

I ran an 120v outlet off the same side of the breaker box as the pump so if I lose power it shuts down the SWG. I then have a smart plug so I can set a timer if I want but run my pump 24/7 at 4psi and the SWG at 20%.
I won’t debate the risk but Discount Salt has told me the Flow switch is very reliable and that’s all you need. Sounds like years ago they weren’t that stable
If I shut my pump off at 11pm I would set my SWG to shut down at 10:45 but personally don’t like cycling electronics on and off 🤓

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, it's definitely something inside the control unit that's generating heat. It's not because of ambient temperature. The air temperature is in the 80's now and the fan is still running and the metal part of the control box is pretty warm to the touch just like when it's generating. There are no bubbles in the cell and the cell amperage reads 0. I don't know what would be generating heat in there like that even when nothing's running but the electronics. That giant transformer is the only thing I can think of, but do they get hot even when no current is passing through?

If this fan is going to run 24x7 it's not going to last very long. I'd be surprised if it made it past 2 years.

Last edited:
Some people will connect their SWG to the same pump timer so that they run together (i.e. Intermatic). Once you get your VSP this is all a moot point since you'll probably connect your SWG to the VSP. Maybe for now you can just do like mine - let the pump run on low 24/7 with the module on 24/7 as well but at a lower output %?

This is what I do. 24/7 low rpm's, 30% on the generator.

Well, it's definitely something inside the control unit that's generating heat. It's not because of ambient temperature. The air temperature is in the 80's now and the fan is still running and the metal part of the control box is pretty warm to the touch just like when it's generating. There are no bubbles in the cell and the cell amperage reads 0. I don't know what would be generating heat in there like that even when nothing's running but the electronics. That giant transformer is the only thing I can think of, but do they get hot even when no current is passing through?

If this fan is going to run 24x7 it's not going to last very long. I'd be surprised if it made it past 2 years.
Which model do you have? I have the Edge and I don't think it has a fan

Reactions: sbcpool
Which model do you have? I have the Edge and I don't think it has a fan
RJ60+

It appears the fan runs whenever the system is on. I am not going to run it in that configuration long. At 48 cents kWh I'm not keen on running a pump, even on low, 24x7. Does the Intelliflo pump have some kind of terminal to power other accessories when the pump is running?

SBC - My RJ45+ is on a timer shared with the VSP. The VSP is wired on the hot side, always has power and run 24/7 (I'm at .08/kwh when not on solar). The RJ is on the timed side but have the timer going 24/7, with no off settings.

On hot days I have noticed the fan in my unit. With the vsp running all the time, and my neighbors noisy single speed just about 100 feet away, I don't hear the fan in the unit most times. So not sure if it runs all the time. Its cooled off here today so when the sun goes down tonight I will go out and check to see if the fan is running, and will report back tomorrow.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Welp, there goes that idea. I guess I'll just stock up on cheapo 40 mm fans :LOL:

I'm watching this thread with interest because I've had and/or have what appears to be two fan related problems with my RJ30. Namely occasional loud operation with excessive vibration and the unit restarting on its own maybe from overheating. I spoke to a technician at Circupool and they didn't know how the fan was controlled but they thought it might have a thermostat. My unit has only been in service for about 18 months and on average is only powered less than 6 hours per day.

You mentioned a 40 mm fan so it sounds like you've looked closely at the fan. Is it definitely a 40 mm fan and do you know what the thickness, voltage and power rating is? A quick search shows almost exclusively "cheapo" fans, probably with bushings instead of ball bearings. I'm wondering if there may be higher quality more durable fans available and if so maybe they would be the best choice. Also, if the RJ fans do run most of the time the unit is powered, especially in the summer, then maybe it's best to run them harder for a shorter period of time each day instead of running them at low output 24/7. It might be better to run it at night when it's cooler if the fan is thermostatically controlled to minimize the use and extend fan life although FC would fluctuate much more.

You mentioned a 40 mm fan so it sounds like you've looked closely at the fan. Is it definitely a 40 mm fan and do you know what the thickness, voltage and power rating is? A quick search shows almost exclusively "cheapo" fans, probably with bushings instead of ball bearings. I'm wondering if there may be higher quality more durable fans available and if so maybe they would be the best choice. Also, if the RJ fans do run most of the time the unit is powered, especially in the summer, then maybe it's best to run them harder for a shorter period of time each day instead of running them at low output 24/7. It might be better to run it at night when it's cooler if the fan is thermostatically controlled to minimize the use and extend fan life although FC would fluctuate much more.
The 40mm information is from this thread:

The CircuPool manual suggests direct wiring to constant power in some cases. In that case there's no option to only run them for a short period of time. My unit does not appear to be thermostatically controlled. The fan just runs continuously as long as the unit is on. If I had a wiring diagram of the internals it probably wouldn't be too hard to wire the fan to be off unless the flow switch was activated. I'm wondering why CircuPool didn't design them that way in the first place. It seems like you would want to avoid sucking in all that dust and junk as much as possible. It would also explain the fan failures people are experiencing.

Maybe that's why the Edge doesn't have a fan but does have a giant heat sink on back and mounts off the wall a couple inch. But because it runs at lower power consistently it stays cool.If I push super chlorinate mode it gets a little warm after 5 or 6 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.