Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
Moved from here.

Anyone have any experience with the CircuPool CORE series of chlorine generators? I don't remember seeing those the last time I looked at Discount Salt Pool's site and it looks like they would be easier to install. The only problem is that I don't have much horizontal pipe length to cut into, and don't know if the CORE series would work in a vertical orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question. CircuPool does a lot of testing before adding any new products and the toughest test of all is when I put each item on my own pool. My pool is difficult; all lined in natural rock, and 40% covered with debris-dropping live oak trees! The CORE unit was super easy to install, and has worked flawlessly since last summer. Coincidentally, mine is installed vertically.....no issues. It is even easier to observe the plate action and the flow switch this way. I like this unit!

I just bought the core 55 with the $10 upgrade deal yesterday. I'm prepping a spot to space it in now. You mentioned it is installed Vertically? Didn't know that was an option. Is there any problem with warranty this way? This direction would save me a lot of piping work.

I'm unsure of the Core circuity but It would appear that the Core design uses less electricity according to the user manual than previous models. By the looks and weight of the RJ plus I'm guessing it has a large transformer that requires a heat sink and this may be less efficient. I do not see this same setup in the Core 55. I will report what I think of it when springs comes.

Coincidentally, mine is installed vertically.....no issues. It is even easier to observe the plate action and the flow switch this way. I like this unit!

Thanks for the response. This is kind of a dumb question, but I'm considering the CORE-55 unit for my pool and as I mentioned, it would be easiest to mount the unit vertically in my situation. In that orientation is the display forced to be sideways, or can it be rotated so that it is horizontal (e.g., easier to read)?

My core 55 arrived today. My initial impression is that it is a well made unit and packaged nicely. To answer questions, You cannot rotate the control head as the cell can only plug in one direction to the controller. The cell also has to be inserted the same other way as it is keyed to it's housing. The flow direction however is bi-directional as the flow switch activates either way. I held it vertical and the weight did not cause the swing arm flow switch to move. The only reasons preventing me from mounting it vertically is the keypad having a clear door that may swing open. Not a big deal. The vents on the back side being sideways may cause an air flow issue but I think that wouldn't be a problem either. I didn't see anything in the booklet saying we cannot go Vertical so I guess I will mount mine that way and tilt my head when reading it. It says it will automatically recognize 100 to 240vac up to 4 amps. Not sure how that compares wattage wise to other models but I think this one translates to 400 watts full on. I plan to cut the cord end and put a 240vac receptacle on the wall. I will daisy chain from the pump electrical so it shuts off at the same time. When I open the pool in 6 weeks I will update it's performance. Also forgot to mention, The core 55 has eight flow channels where the water flows thru over the many plates. I'm not sure how other models divide their surface area but my concern might be calcium deposits. as they are narrow channels.

Last edited:
My core 55 arrived today. My initial impression is that it is a well made unit and packaged nicely. To answer questions, You cannot rotate the control head as the cell can only plug in one direction to the controller. The cell also has to be inserted the same other way as it is keyed to it's housing. The flow direction however is bi-directional as the flow switch activates either way. I held it vertical and the weight did not cause the swing arm flow switch to move. The only reasons preventing me from mounting it vertically is the keypad having a clear door that may swing open. Not a big deal. The vents on the back side being sideways may cause an air flow issue but I think that wouldn't be a problem either. I didn't see anything in the booklet saying we cannot go Vertical so I guess I will mount mine that way and tilt my head when reading it. It says it will automatically recognize 100 to 240vac up to 4 amps. Not sure how that compares wattage wise to other models but I think this one translates to 400 watts full on. I plan to cut the cord end and put a 240vac receptacle on the wall. I will daisy chain from the pump electrical so it shuts off at the same time. When I open the pool in 6 weeks I will update it's performance. Also forgot to mention, The core 55 has eight flow channels where the water flows thru over the many plates. I'm not sure how other models divide their surface area but my concern might be calcium deposits. as they are narrow channels.
How has the Core55 been working? I'm thinking about purchasing one.

Here's an update on my CircuPool CORE-55 SWCG installation. I am a relatively new pool owner (less than 1.5 years) and this is my first SWCG.

Although I could have mounted it vertically, I didn't want to have the display sideways, so I re-plumbed a bit to install it horizontally. It was actually a simple job with some 2" PVC pipe and fittings from Home Depot. The flow sensor is built in, so there is no separate sensor to install. I like that the cell is transparent so I can see the water flow and hydrogen gas being generated to be sure that the unit is working.

It has been installed for about 3 weeks, and so far so good. We have had temperatures in the high 90s and low 100s, and the unit is keeping my FC at 5.5 ppm consistently at 75% running for 11.5 hours a day. Using the PoolMath app, that's about the same as adding 1 gallon of 10% chlorine per day, which is close to what it takes to maintain this pool in the height of the summer. I may be able to reduce the pump run time since my CYA was at only 40 ppm, but I recently increased it to 60, so we will see if the Cl loss is less going forward. I'm still not at the recommended CYA level of 70, but I am inching up on it.

One thing about this unit is that it does not have a lot of the display features and diagnostics that other units have. Output is only adjustable in 25% increments, so finer adjustment of output will need to be done by adjusting pump run time. On the other hand, it was very easy to install and is easy to use. I am happy with it so far. There is no longer a need to ask a family member to add chlorine when I'm gone for a few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.