Feb 27, 2023
Carrollton, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

My setup is a 5k gal pool/swim spa with a small ~500 gal reservoir directly adjacent to it. The filter pump suction and return is 100% to/from the pool side. We have a separate VS pump the draws from the pool AND reservoir, controlled through a valve. The return line is also controlled through a valve - one line going to a series of wall jets and the other line going to a water feature that spills into the pool & reservoir 50/50 without any way to control it. There is also an open inlet for surge water to flow from the pool into the reservoir and, if it ever got so high, it would flow back into the pool from the reservoir before spilling over the coping. There is no pumped return directly into the reservoir.

The filter pump runs without effecting the reservoir water. So, in order to circulate the reservoir, I have to do something with the other pump and valves.
A) I can open the valves and turn the pump on at any speed and drain the reservoir and then fill it through the water feature spillover. But, it's not a perfect system and I lose a little through wind evaporation and splashing. Also, I have a cover that I would rather not open and leave open just to circulate the 100 gallons in the bottom of the reservoir.
B) I can open the drain valves but keep the water feature closed. As long as I run the pump at 2,000 rpm or less, the head pressure (I assume) is stronger than the suction on the pump with the valve only partially open to the reservoir drain 80/20.

If the pump is turned off and I open the drain valve, the reservoir will find equilibrium with the pool water line. I was pleasantly surprised to find this out accidentally one morning. I think it is due to the fact that my pumps are just slightly below my water line. Refer to attached image.

HOWEVER, my question amounts to this... with my pump running at <2,000 rpm and the suction valve being split 50/50 between the pool and reservoir, how much circulation is actually occurring at the bottom of the reservoir? The pump speed effects the water line in the reservoir - if I turn it down to 600 rpm, it will find equilibrium with the pool water line pretty quickly. If the speed gets turned up to 2,000, it will hover. How does this speed effect the circulation in the reservoir? Looking at a matter of slower longer or faster shorter.

Thanks in advance!
-michaelmew

Attachments

• 2023-02-27 13_32_59-Document1_ - Bluebeam Revu x64.jpg
    2023-02-27 13_32_59-Document1_ - Bluebeam Revu x64.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 9
Why do you care how much circulation is actually occurring at the bottom of the reservoir?

If you are worried about the water at the bottom of the reservoir staying sanitary the proper CYA and FC in your pool water will keep all the reservoir sanitary and algae free.

What is the purpose of the reservoir? Do you have a vanishing edge on the pool?

Post pics of your pool, reservoir, and equipment so we can see your situation.

Why do you care how much circulation is actually occurring at the bottom of the reservoir?

If you are worried about the water at the bottom of the reservoir staying sanitary the proper CYA and FC in your pool water will keep all the reservoir sanitary and algae free.

What is the purpose of the reservoir? Do you have a vanishing edge on the pool?

Post pics of your pool, reservoir, and equipment so we can see your situation.
Thanks!
Yes, I'm only asking to make sure I've got healthy conditions and because I'm genuinely curious about the science behind it.

Your statement about the chemicals is reassuring.

The reservoir's purpose is to catch overflow from swimmer displacement and surge from the swim jet.

I'll grab a picture tomorrow.

-michaelmew

Think about a pool with a deep end hopper and no main drain there. The water in the deep end of the pool stays chemically mixed with the water in the rest of the pool.

Reactions: michaelmew
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.