Chuck's Pool

Lagerman64

Gold Supporter
Apr 14, 2019
South Carolina
Just replaced liner on April 6th. 20190406_090633.jpg20190406_114545.jpg20190412_142808.jpg
My well water is high in iron, had water trucked in, unfortunately had to use 1500 gallons to start setting vinyl, before truck arrived. Added 3 trichlor tabs and 1# shock. 24 hours later,starting chemistry; water temp 62
FC: 2
TC: 2
TA: 39
pH: 6.8
CH: 53
Added 15# Baking Soda

Next day (4/8)
FC: 1
TC: 2
TA: 90
pH: 7.5
Backwashed, came out dark/rust brown. So, with the addition of well water and residual iron in my plumbing, added 50 ounces of Proteam Metal Magic, plus CuLator pads in skimmer/pump baskets. Added 3 more trichlor tabs. Trying to keep chlorine low, Metal Magic works best with chlorine about 1 ppm.

Performed normal pool maintenance daily, brushing, adjusting chlorine. 2# CYA additions (4/13, 4/18)

4/22
FC: 1
TC: 1
TA: 80
pH: 7.2
CH: 50
CA: 43
Filter pressure up 25%, backwashed, topped up water level, using resin filter to remove iron from fill water. Added 32 ounces liquid bleach, and 4# Proteam Calcium Up

I'm done with the metal sequesterants for now, I want to get my chemistry numbers where they need to be, so I can add borates as a pH stabilizer.

Questions;
1. Pool liner paper work recommends TA 100 and CH 100, is that set in stone?
2. Backwashing, it's my understanding, the only time I need to is when filters pressure exceeds 25% of it's normal operating pressure. Not weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, only when pressure dictates, right?
3. As for borate additions, if I need to adjust CH, should I do it before or after I borate?

If you try to keep TA at 100, you will fight your pH. Your TA will want to be lower than 100. They have no reason to require that.
CH is a bit of a discussion. Some vinyl liners have CaCO3 in them, especially old or cheap ones. Typically we say CH does not matter for vinyl.
Clean your filter when the pressure rises by 25% over clean. Could be days, months, years.....
CH does not matter on adding borates. We do suggest you wait until you well understand your pool water chemistry traits before adding borates.

Reactions: Lagerman64
Another question comes to mind, saw the vids a member made regarding deep cleaning his sand filter, annually. I know this works for him, I know others haven't touched their filter sand in 18 years and it still works. I'm a glass media guy, sacrilege I know, but it's works as advertised for me thus far. Would it benefit me to deep clean as well, prior to opening every year? Glass is new for me, it's an experiment, can we continue to discuss it here (lots of questions), or is the glass media thread?

Ok, now I'm getting aggravated, I got the rust stains off my stairs, but I think my sequestrant petered out, the stains are back. I know Jack's Magic has a test kit, to maintain proper levels. How do I monitor Proteam Metal Magic? I have 4 bottles left, think I'll switch over to Jack's Magic Pink Stuff, when it's gone. o_O

Question regarding TF-100, Alkalinity testing, does measurement stop once solution changes color, or once the drops no longer change color? My latest test, solution pinks at 8 drops, goes total red, drops no longer effect color, at 10.

Question regarding TF-100, Alkalinity testing, does measurement stop once solution changes color, or once the drops no longer change color? My latest test, solution pinks at 8 drops, goes total red, drops no longer effect color, at 10.
The end point is once the color stops changing, then you don't count that last drop of no futher change.

The end point is once the color stops changing, then you don't count that last drop of no futher change.
Thanks, as of today alkalinity is 110, keeps creeping up, due to metal treatment. Pool's clouded up today, clear yesterday, I'm guessing the extra 10 ppm Alk is precipitating iron out more quickly. Added a clarifying agent this morning, after I vacuumed. I don't like the high Alk, instead of reducing the pH and aerating, can I crash my Alk with muriatic, say down by 20 ppm, and raise my pH with borax? I plan on borating my pool in the near future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, as of today alkalinity is 110, keeps creeping up, due to metal treatment. Pool's clouded up today, clear yesterday, I'm guessing the extra 10 ppm Alk is precipitating iron out more quickly. Added a clarifying agent this morning, after I vacuumed. I don't like the high Alk, instead of reducing the pH and aerating, can I crash my Alk with muriatic, say down by 20 ppm, and raise my pH with borax? I plan on borating my pool in the near future.
  • Unfortunately TA can only be reduced by aerating lowered PH
  • The more water agitation you can create, you can "speed" this process up (or you can let it go naturally)
    • Test PH
    • Use PoolMath to dose and add Muriatic Acid to drop to 7.4
    • Retest PH in 30min
    • Repeat if PH has risen over 7.4

• Unfortunately TA can only be reduced by aerating lowered PH
  • The more water agitation you can create, you can "speed" this process up (or you can let it go naturally)
    • Test PH
    • Use PoolMath to dose and add Muriatic Acid to drop to 7.4
    • Retest PH in 30min
    • Repeat if PH has risen over 7.4
In regards to aerating, can I use my pool sprayers? Can I turn my returns straight up towards the surface? I've always wondered about that.

In regards to aerating, can I use my pool sprayers? Can I turn my returns straight up towards the surface? I've always wondered about that.
Yes!
Anyway you can "churn" water will cause your PH to rise, especially with TA 100+ :)

Once the PH stops rising quickly from 7.2/7.4 then you can resume "normal" operation :D

I have a leaking vacuum hose, any recommendations for a replacement?
What length, what type of vac, hose, size? Honestly you can go with the best price you can find.
We've had our vac house for 3yrs, used it for sump draining, pool vac'ing, etc, it doesn't show "wearing".
We DO store it on a garden hose hanger, to keep it from getting kinked

I have a question regarding chemical storage degradation. In regards to chlorine, does granular/powdered have a longer shelf life than liquid? I have two boxes of cal hypo 73%, 1 pound, shock packets, about a year old. Does degradation effect pH, or does that stay consistent?

Solid chlorine products, if kept dry, will last for a very long time.

Not sure what you mean by 'degradation effect pH'?

Cal Hypo has negligible effect on pH when added to the pool. So I do not think it has a high pH.

Dichlor and Trichlor are very acidic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.