Goodyear, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So, I just had the calcium sprayed from my pool. It was a complete drain and refill. The company left a ton of residue and I think even washed a ton down the drain. I cleaned the filters out and alot of it came out. It was so bad there was 3 inches of sludge on the bottom of the filter housing. In any case, less than a week later, my pressure is up close to 10psi higher on low and hits about 30 psi on clean mode. Right after cleaning the filters, it was just over 20psi. The rubber ends of the filters look chewed up too. I think it's time replace after 3+ years and sludge. The questions is.... is it best just to buy the OEM filter or is there a good/better/best when it comes to choosing them? I tried to do research before I asked but can't find anything. These suckers aren't cheap. I'm looking at r173576 @ $133 for one filter. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Do you have a Pentair CCP 420 filter (add manufacturers and model numbers of equipment to your signature)?
If so, a 4 pack of replacements range anywhere from $160 to $300+ depending on manufacturer.

The Pleatco brand have gotten good reviews around here. Their price is higher than it was a year or so ago.

Reactions: proavia
The Pleatco brand have gotten good reviews around here. Their price is higher than it was a year or so ago
Pentair bought Pleatco in the end of 2021. The Pentair replacements seemingly went up overnight to OEM price. Who woulda thought ? I imagine the other brands versions will follow soon too.

• Wow
Reactions: proavia
Please tell us the model name/number of your filter housing.

I would also suggest you read Pool Care Basics. Your water chemistry needs better management.
Pentair clean and clear plus 420. I agree on the better water management. The drain and refill is my new start. I don't want to go through this cleaning thing again.

Pentair clean and clear plus 420. I agree on the better water management. The drain and refill is my new start. I don't want to go through this cleaning thing again.
Great -- see a few posts up for a company I have purchased filter cartridges from. Good quality, good price.

You need to use softened water for fill water due to evaporation. Do you have a water softener?

Great -- see a few posts up for a company I have purchased filter cartridges from. Good quality, good price.

You need to use softened water for fill water due to evaporation. Do you have a water softener?
Right after fill, my hardness was

Right after fill, hardness was 110 which was odd to me because it was over 900 when i drained it. All of my readings are using the same kit. I also use pool calculator. I have added some calcium to get me over 250 but I'm not adding anymore. Yes, i have a water softener but the auto fill is off of a hose bib that i don't think it's soft. But, the low reading might say otherwise.

Your water company may mix sources.

Not sure I would have added any calcium. Just let the pH and TA ride high. But what is done is done.

You might consider manually adding water from the softener when you are home, disabling the auto fill. Or figure out how to get soft water to the autofill.

Your water company may mix sources.

Not sure I would have added any calcium. Just let the pH and TA ride high. But what is done is done.

You might consider manually adding water from the softener when you are home, disabling the auto fill. Or figure out how to get soft water to the autofill.
Thanks. I added calcium just given everything I read said i was too low. I'll see if I can figure out the soft water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.