Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello all!

I've skimmed multiple threads, and researched online, but wanted to come to you all for advice. Im in the middle of an owner build pool spa combo and I feel like some of the recommendations for equipment were a bit overkill.

My pool is 12x30 and 3.5' - 6.0' deep. (approx. 13,000 gallons over estimated)
my spa is 7' x 7' with a small spill over into pool.

I was originally going all Hayward but have recently switched to Pentair...

Pump - Pentair Intelliflo VSF 3hp (Already purchased)

Filter - Pentair Clean & Clear 420 (Can I go down to a 320?) (I live in the city in a tract development with little dirt in my yard)

Heater - Pentair Mastertemp 400 (Can I go down to 300?) (My main use for heater is to heat the spa in winter when outdoor temp is 45-55 degrees. Also heat the pool in spring months, but only to take pool temp from 72 degrees to like 78 degrees when outdoor high temps are in mid 70's.

Automation - I'm so confused and lost on this its unreal!! Im looking to be able to control, pool and spa lights, heater, SCG, water features. I will have 2 fire bowls and a fire pit but I don't believe those have anything to do with Pentair automation? Id like to be able to access the automation via iPhone.

Water festures Pump - Superflo? Whisperflo?

Thanks in advance !!
Thomas

Thomas,

Before even digging dirt you really need to know how you want your whole pool to operate... What you want to control via automation and what you are willing to do manually.

As a simple example... If you want to turn on a water feature, you can have it operate off of the main pump, and just use a Jandy style valve and actuator to turn the feature on and off.. Or you can use a separate water feature pump to run it.. With the first option you would need to make sure that you have the right valve in the right spot in the plumbing and that whatever automation you buy has the right number of valve drivers necessary to do what you want. With the second option you don't need an automated valve but need to decide on how to control the volume of water.. If you go with a single speed pump, you can add a manual valve so you can set the amount of flow you want.. Or you can go with a VS pump and control the volume by adjusting the speed...

My point is that once the pool is built, it is too late to decide on what you want to control, you are then stuck with what you can control depending on how the pool was built.

You really can't "overkill" buying most pool equipment. A bigger filter is almost always better, and the less often you would have to clean it.. A bigger heater is almost always better because it takes less time to heat the same amount of water. etc...

How do you intend to light the two fire bowls? Will they run all the time or do you want the automation system to turn them on and off.. I don't know much about fire bowls but assume that they should be controlled by your automation system..

Lights... Each light, or group of lights, that you want to independently control will need a relay... (and most likely a transformer.) How many lights will you have and how do you want them to work? Using one relay means the all the lights will turn on and off at the same time and be the same color...

Not knowing exactly how you want your system to work, I'd recommend the Pentair IntelliCenter.. Since this is a saltwater pool, then I would recommend one of the "packages" that come with the IntelliCenter, and built in SWCG power center, a SWCG, plus two valve actuators... Here is a link to a page that lists the best packages...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thomas,

Before even digging dirt you really need to know how you want your whole pool to operate... What you want to control via automation and what you are willing to do manually.

As a simple example... If you want to turn on a water feature, you can have it operate off of the main pump, and just use a Jandy style valve and actuator to turn the feature on and off.. Or you can use a separate water feature pump to run it.. With the first option you would need to make sure that you have the right valve in the right spot in the plumbing and that whatever automation you buy has the right number of valve drivers necessary to do what you want. With the second option you don't need an automated valve but need to decide on how to control the volume of water.. If you go with a single speed pump, you can add a manual valve so you can set the amount of flow you want.. Or you can go with a VS pump and control the volume by adjusting the speed...

My point is that once the pool is built, it is too late to decide on what you want to control, you are then stuck with what you can control depending on how the pool was built.

You really can't "overkill" buying most pool equipment. A bigger filter is almost always better, and the less often you would have to clean it.. A bigger heater is almost always better because it takes less time to heat the same amount of water. etc...

How do you intend to light the two fire bowls? Will they run all the time or do you want the automation system to turn them on and off.. I don't know much about fire bowls but assume that they should be controlled by your automation system..

Lights... Each light, or group of lights, that you want to independently control will need a relay... (and most likely a transformer.) How many lights will you have and how do you want them to work? Using one relay means the all the lights will turn on and off at the same time and be the same color...

Not knowing exactly how you want your system to work, I'd recommend the Pentair IntelliCenter.. Since this is a saltwater pool, then I would recommend one of the "packages" that come with the IntelliCenter, and built in SWCG power center, a SWCG, plus two valve actuators... Here is a link to a page the lists the best packages...

Thanks,

Jim R.
This is one of the most complete summaries to consider prior to signing a contract to build a pool. The only item other than equipment would be water depth considerations.
I think too many people focus on colors and plaster types and are disappointed when they cannot control the flow of the spa into the pool after it is built because no thought was given to how that would be set up.
Thanks @Jimrahbe - I'll keep this for future reference.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.