Terre Haute, IN.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
So I'm new to this community and believe that every pool owner should go through pool school:) felt lost before I found TFP! Been reading the forums for about 2 months now, really enjoyed the true chemistry of a pool instead of what the pool companies have told me. So my wife and I purchased this home 3 yrs ago with a inground pool. Replaced the liner and had water hauled in because we live on a well. Replaced gaskets on the filter and pump. The pool wasn't taken care of or the equipment. Purchased a new t-9 cell, which after reading on here I should of went with the t-15, But now I know.

I just recently purchases a dual speed 1hp 230v pump from Doheny. Their own brand, which was shipped to my house label a 115v motor. Contacted the company and they informed me that it was just a misprint, that it was actually a 230v motor. LOL, I repumped it to my filter after receiving it and wiring it up to only have it short out. After inspecting the motor and removing the circuit board I found the switch from 115v to 230v. All I had to do was hit the switch to 230v and it would of saved me a whole lot of headache. Sent back the pump and they're sending me a new one, but its on backorder. go figure.

Back to what I need some help with, I feel like my pump currently is overkill. The returns in the pool feel like a jacuzzi, That's why I went with a 1hp dual speed and also to save money and run it a lot less (via pool company said run it 24/7) ← (lie). The filter I'm guessing is almost 20 yrs old. Recently it started leaking from the bottom and not the drain plug or any of the union connectors, I cant see where the leak is because it has 250-300 lbs of sand and I cant see under the stand. So time for a new filter, Just needing help on what size I should purchase. We live on a budget (Dave Ramsey style) and was looking at the SD40 or hayward 18" both hold 150 of sand. Is that to small for 17200 pool? I understand the bigger the filter equals less backwash, but I don't want any overkill like I feel like I do now. If anyone knows any off brand that works too I'm all ears. Thanks

Welcome to the forum!
On your pump, have you considered replacing your existing motor with a VS one? VGreen 1.65 hp would fit well I believe. A VS pump will save even more on electricity.
Our recommendation for a sand filter is a minimum of 24". But even better would be a 300+ SF cartridge filter. Should be able to only have to clean it twice per year.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Check with Inyopools on sizing, flange, etc. The 1.65hp should mate with your impeller, but check on it.
Check your motor SF rating. You may find your THP is higher than your plate HP.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.