Chlorine Tablets contain copper!!! Now what?

I am in a situation that, for various safety and other reasons, an OCLT test cannot be performed. The pool in question is gin-clear, and the CC was clear in one drop using the TF-100 kit. We have SLAMmed it in strict accordance with instructions and have also purchased a Dolphin S50. Thanks to your expert advice, we accomplished this in 9 days from a swamp. The cover blew off late last fall and was not able to be reinstalled. The ladder is being cleaned the best it can be before being reinstalled.

A new tub of chlorine was purchased and I discovered that it contained trace amounts of copper in it's ingredient list. Returning the product is not an option at this point.

Can you advise how I can keep control of the pool with this unintentional introduction of copper? It is marketed as having "algae preventing and water softening" additives. Argh! The pool in question is a 13,500 gallon vinyl lined AG, 2 years old with 12 year old pump and filter setup. Thanks to everyone for getting us through a 'shocking experience'!

Honestly if you can't return them I would either donate them to someone that wants them (poor thing) or otherwise dispose of them. You are going to spend more money on a sequestrant product over the long term trying to sequester up that copper than you would just buying an alternate chlorinating product without copper. Either that or since your pool is smaller you can just keep exchanging the water every time your copper levels get above a certain level. Problem is to test for copper you have to go to the pool store and who knows how accurate their test is. I would just avoid if it was me.

Reactions: kimkats
Thank you all, for your responses. I will see about returning the bucket. I would not know what the copper will do and we are not going to test the water for it nor purchase sequesterant. Tough lesson for the pool owner, $75 going down the rat hole if they do not take it back.

My bet it is Clorox tabs from Costco. Stay away from all Clorox pool products. Too many of them have unwanted additives or other issues.

This was a bucket purchased from a Pool Store. The the additives are to prevent algae and to ensure clear water. I will take a pic of the bucket and post. I realize the importance of the liquid chlorine. I use it in my pool and spa, but for this pool, it is not a reality. Tabs have to be used. Yes, I am aware of Clorox's reputation for this, that and the other things they put in their product. But to get plain chlorine tabs, I think the best place would be Job Lot. I saw the HTH line of products in my local hardware store, do they have any merit?

HTH makes decent stuff, but like anything pool-related, you must read the label. They often try to slip in other stuff -- acid neutralizers, clarifiers, and your pal copper. So read the label. For vacations I use trichlor pucks from Leslies. They're 99% pure trichlor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.