Chlorine lock

Patandanna

May 25, 2019
Fredericksburg, VA
Moved from

I recently experience chlorine lock (demand). Put a bag in for 3 consectutive nights and ran the salt water generator with no readings. Ended up buying a new salt water cell thinking it wasnt working, only come to find out i had a demand issue. Put 3lbs/10,000 gal (3 bags in my 10,000 gal pool). Now chlorine is off the charts 10ppm (according to my chlorox strips). Waiting for it to go back down now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently experience chlorine lock (demand). Put a bag in for 3 consectutive nights and ran the salt water generator with no readings. Ended up buying a new salt water cell thinking it wasnt working, only come to find out i had a demand issue. Put 3lbs/10,000 gal (3 bags in my 10,000 gal pool). Now chlorine is off the charts 10ppm (according to my chlorox strips). Waiting for it to go back down now.
The test strips are not reliable. You should get a reliable test kit (TFT-100 or Taylor K2006C). Then you may not get such wild test results.

I backed it up with not just a pool store test but also a pentair pool test kit. Cant imagine all 3 would be incorrect. They all indicated low CL and then both indicate high CL after adding 3 bags.
3 bags of dichlor will certainly raise your chlorine level. But whether it’s too high or too low you don’t really know because those don’t measure chlorine accurately above 5ppm (maybe the pool store does). If you get a FAS-DPD test kit, you can test levels much higher than that. If you are using dichlor, then it’s also adding CYA which means you’ll need even more chlorine (More than 5ppm) to sanitize effectively.

It’s up to you on how you want to manage your pool, but the TFP method does really work.

Here’s the link for more info about CYA.

thanks all. Bought the kit, but now i need a phd in chemistry to work it. Will be looking at YT videos to figure that thing out.
I can attest - no chemistry education necessary! Just follow the instructions (mostly counting droplets) and the Pool Math app will tell you what to do. Super easy and you’ve come to the right place for help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.