mrjetson707

Sep 7, 2021
Martinez, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm new here and noticed alot of talk about using bleach or liquid chlorine. I don't hear anything about powder chlorine. I've been going to leslies pool supply and then found this website. I think leslies just constantly wants to upsell me so I'm trying to find a better way to care for my pool. Is powder chlorine bad? what about the chlorine tabs that you put in the floater? sorry if there's already a thread on this. it's alot of information and it's hard for me to navigate through it all

welcome to TFP
solid forms of chlorine all add something else
powder chlorine is usually calciumhypochlorite which adds calcium, triclor adds stabilizer
if you know what you are doing and need these additives all good
but you need to realize that every time you add chlorine you also add more additive which builds up and can only easily be removed by draining your pool and refilling

Stick around here and we'll show you the ropes. Easy stuff once you put it all together.

Welcome aboard! When reading through the Pat linked you to you'll find that pool maintenance can be pretty easy. We use liquid chlorine or a salt chlorine generator to add free chlorine most of the time. The only other thing you need most of the time is some acid to adjust your pH. We use big box store versions that are identical to the pool store versions and dirt cheap. Other forms of chlorine add something else to your pool so if your pool is already balanced it can easily get out of balance from these since chlorine is consumed and the other component added builds up since it isn't consumed. This creates an unbalanced chemistry in your water that has detrimental impact. It can cause calcium deposits and reduce the effectiveness of your chlorine. There are a few other things to balance but usually they need adjustment way less often like monthly or even quarterly. The underlying chemistry can be a little complex but our methods simplify all this with a simple set of tests you can perform yourself. No chemistry needed. Test results will determine what you need to do to keep your pool very healthy, gorgeous and at a dirt cheap cost. For new members the first thing you need to do is get the kit. "Free" pool store tests are worth what you pay for them. The advice you get from the stores is also very unreliable since they are often poorly trained and conflicted because they sell a lot of expensive potions you don't need. We don't sell anything. We've determined two different brands of tests work well for home owners. You can buy them any place you want to. Test Kits Compared . Once you get your kit post your results here and we have experts that will help you get started. In a couple days you'll be on auto-pilot. Our experts will always be here to help with any issue you have related to pools. Also, our experts are 100% volunteers. It would help them be more efficient with their time if you could add your signature with key information about your pool type, size, equipment etc. It's very easy, here's how.

Again, welcome and we look forward to helping you any way we can. You will be joining over 200,000 other TFP'ers use our dirt cheap, easy methods for a trouble free pool.

Chris

Welcome aboard! When reading through the Pat linked you to you'll find that pool maintenance can be pretty easy. We use liquid chlorine or a salt chlorine generator to add free chlorine most of the time. The only other thing you need most of the time is some acid to adjust your pH. We use big box store versions that are identical to the pool store versions and dirt cheap. Other forms of chlorine add something else to your pool so if your pool is already balanced it can easily get out of balance from these since chlorine is consumed and the other component added builds up since it isn't consumed. This creates an unbalanced chemistry in your water that has detrimental impact. It can cause calcium deposits and reduce the effectiveness of your chlorine. There are a few other things to balance but usually they need adjustment way less often like monthly or even quarterly. The underlying chemistry can be a little complex but our methods simplify all this with a simple set of tests you can perform yourself. No chemistry needed. Test results will determine what you need to do to keep your pool very healthy, gorgeous and at a dirt cheap cost. For new members the first thing you need to do is get the kit. "Free" pool store tests are worth what you pay for them. The advice you get from the stores is also very unreliable since they are often poorly trained and conflicted because they sell a lot of expensive potions you don't need. We don't sell anything. We've determined two different brands of tests work well for home owners. You can buy them any place you want to. Test Kits Compared . Once you get your kit post your results here and we have experts that will help you get started. In a couple days you'll be on auto-pilot. Our experts will always be here to help with any issue you have related to pools. Also, our experts are 100% volunteers. It would help them be more efficient with their time if you could add your signature with key information about your pool type, size, equipment etc. It's very easy, here's how.

Again, welcome and we look forward to helping you any way we can. You will be joining over 200,000 other TFP'ers use our dirt cheap, easy methods for a trouble free pool.

Chris
with the TF100, do is it suggested to purchase any of the extras? PH meter? XL version or "sampler"?

Chris
I'm having trouble setting my signature. it says "line 4 is too long". I made it 3 words and it still says too long. maybe because I'm using my phone right now?

I'm having trouble setting my signature. it says "line 4 is too long". I made it 3 words and it still says too long. maybe because I'm using my phone right now?
That's odd. Maybe. Type it here in a post and I'll see if I can cut & paste it for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
with the TF100, do is it suggested to purchase any of the extras? PH meter? XL version or "sampler"?
I'm with Pat. XL worked great for me when I first started TFP because I tested a LOT to get the hang of it and to get to know my pool. Fast forward 8 years and I still have it after a reagent refill about every other year. On the pH meter, I got one because I had to. I'm color blind in the range needed to measure anything above about 7.6. I've played with a LOT of pH meters. The cheaper ones never worked more than a week or two. I suspect this is because they are very sensitive to drying out electrodes and/or their electrodes just aren't that good. I've used the more expensive Hanna PHEP model very successfully and there are others that use similar meters from other brands. They last about 2 years before their electrode is depleted even with some abuse such as letting the electrode dry out a couple times. But as Pat says you do need to calibrate them. Not all that difficult if you get a system set up but it is more work. If I wasn't color blind I'd use the drop test.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I'm new here and noticed alot of talk about using bleach or liquid chlorine. I don't hear anything about powder chlorine. I've been going to leslies pool supply and then found this website. I think leslies just constantly wants to upsell me so I'm trying to find a better way to care for my pool. Is powder chlorine bad? what about the chlorine tabs that you put in the floater? sorry if there's already a thread on this. it's alot of information and it's hard for me to navigate through it all

I'm with Pat. XL worked great for me when I first started TFP because I tested a LOT to get the hang of it and to get to know my pool. Fast forward 8 years and I still have it after a reagent refill about every other year. On the pH meter, I got one because I had to. I'm color blind in the range needed to measure anything above about 7.6. I've played with a LOT of pH meters. The cheaper ones never worked more than a week or two. I suspect this is because they are very sensitive to drying out electrodes and/or their electrodes just aren't that good. I've used the more expensive Hanna PHEP model very successfully and there are others that use similar meters from other brands. They last about 2 years before their electrode is depleted even with some abuse such as letting the electrode dry out a couple times. But as Pat says you do need to calibrate them. Not all that difficult if you get a system set up but it is more work. If I wasn't color blind I'd use the drop test.

I hope this helps.

Chris
okay. so what can I add that's $3? free shipping over $100 orders and I'm at $97 lol

FWIW, I am a 5 year pool veteran. The whole pool chemistry thing gets pretty easy, once you learn the chemicals and how they interact. I add stabilizer tablets until CYA gets up, then use liquid chlorine as needed. I test everything about every 3-4 weeks, and PH/chlorine once a week. My pool and I understand each other, and we work work together.

I have an attached spa, so I run the pool year round. Its amazing how little chlorine it takes to keep the pool clean when the water temp is 50 degrees. I have often wondered why more people dont just keep the pool open year round? My pump turns on if the temps get below about 40 degrees.

This site is fantastic, and I can attest that the advice here is top tier and works. I might spend 15-30 minutes a week on my pool. You got this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.