Chlorine levels throughout the day - looking for feedback

pcool69

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 18, 2014
Magnolia TX
I have been using liquid chlorine since I filled my pool for the first time in February 2014. My water has always looked the same since that first fill and I feel like I have a very good understanding of pool chemistry. However, I’m beginning to think I have had the wrong mindset all along.

I have always targeted the top or above the top of the chlorine range thinking that more was better and it would keep my water clean. This results in water that is usually between 7-10 ppm chlorine. I keep my CYA level at 50 in an attempt to keep the chlorine usage to a minimum in the Texas sun. Maybe I’m using more chlorine than I need and should be targeting the bottom of the range? In pool season, I add my chlorine at night and raise the level to a few points above the max recommended level. This results in a minimum level a few points above the minimum recommended level at the end of the day. It sounds good but I wonder if it’s necessary to keep the minimum that high.

What does everyone else do? Does anyone target the bottom of the recommended range? What happens if your chlorine level drops to 0 or near 0 for a few hours everyday?

The recommended range is ideal not only for algae prevention but to avoid chlorine waste. The more you exceed the recommended level, in other words the higher % ratio of FC-to-CYA, the you can see a quicker loss of FC. Best to remain in the ideal range when possible. At the same time, be sure to never drop below the minimum. Anytime we get close to that number we get nervous and run the risk of algae, especially in the hot TX summers when there is an incredible amount of stress on the water (heat, organics, sun UV, etc).

Despite having a clear pool since 2014 you are now doubting your method of keeping your FC well within the target range for your CYA FC/CYA Levels ? It seems you are having amazing success. What is your daily FC loss now nearing peak season? You can try raising your CYA by 10ppm but testing pH may become an issue when FC gets above 10ppm. You can also shade your pool with sail shades to reduce FC loss.
Targeting the low end of the target range is risky and letting your FC drop below the minimum is inviting a SLAM Process .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.