Chlorine lasts 1 day

Feb 17, 2018
Houston/TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our pool was using tabs for the last 2 seasons and we started getting small patches of algae with chlorine levels around 5. The CYA was always high (past the 100 reading on our home test kit) so I took it to the pool store- 186!

I drained half the pool and we’ve been slowly filling it to dilute the CYA. Latest reading was 90.

I want to use the BBB method so we stopped the tab feeder (due to the high level of CYA byproduct) and have been sourcing bleach (6 to 7.5%). I used the calculator and added bleach to 4ppm 4 days ago. Swam for 30 min that evening, checked FC the next day and it was 0.5. Added bleach to 4ppm.

Yesterday afternoon I checked and again had 0.5-1 FC. Added bleach, and after a few hours tested again and verified 4ppm with strips and test kit.

This morning I checked to see if FC was close to 4. Checked it this morning and it was 0.5. Verified it was around 1 with our AquaCheck strips. I did swap out cartridge filters yesterday with clean ones but can’t imagine it breaking down that much chlorine.

So I’ve done this a few times and seems like the bleach lasts about 1-2 days then is at close to zero.

Any ideas why this is happening? I’m about to go back to using tabs and dealing with the high CYA and algae! I travel for work so I can’t be home to add bleach every day or two.

Yeah here in Houston you really honestly need an SWG unless u want to be married to your pool work wise. With tabs you will constantly have the CYA issue. If you use CalHypo you will have a Ca issue. Being away from your pool for work is just more of the reason to have an SWG. I haven’t touched my pool FC wise for 3 weeks. I check it every few days and FC is the same as the SWG is set up right to produce the correct amount based on my FC demand. If I need to correct it I just up the % from my IPhone. I say this on many threads but I’d rather saw my arm off than not have an SWG here in Houston.
also I’m only seeing Approx 2 FC demand a day here in Sugar Land and that’s with full sun most of day. Granted my CYA is at 70. 4 at this time of year seems like a lot. At that rate it may be 8 by July/August.

Yeah here in Houston you really honestly need an SWG unless u want to be married to your pool work wise. With tabs you will constantly have the CYA issue. If you use CalHypo you will have a Ca issue. Being away from your pool for work is just more of the reason to have an SWG. I haven’t touched my pool FC wise for 3 weeks. I check it every few days and FC is the same as the SWG is set up right to produce the correct amount based on my FC demand. If I need to correct it I just up the % from my IPhone. I say this on many threads but I’d rather saw my arm off than not have an SWG here in Houston.
also I’m only seeing Approx 2 FC demand a day here in Sugar Land and that’s with full sun most of day. Granted my CYA is at 70. 4 at this time of year seems like a lot. At that rate it may be 8 by July/August.
Greet stuff to think about. Do you have corrosion issues around your pool with steel and stone? Our pool builder mentioned higher pH and corrosion as the trade offs. I can handle the pH but with a steel fence I’d be scared of the cost and frequency to replace that every few years if it’s as bad as our neighbor says it is.

I love the iPhone remote controllability and not touching it for 3 weeks. Just trying to see if drain/refill every year or two makes more sense than installing a SWG.

Greet stuff to think about. Do you have corrosion issues around your pool with steel and stone? Our pool builder mentioned higher pH and corrosion as the trade offs. I can handle the pH but with a steel fence I’d be scared of the cost and frequency to replace that every few years if it’s as bad as our neighbor says it is.

I love the iPhone remote controllability and not touching it for 3 weeks. Just trying to see if drain/refill every year or two makes more sense than installing a SWG.
I have travertine deck,coping,etc. I don’t have a single spec of any type of corrosion anywhere. Not on/in my pool equipment, steel patio chair,etc. nowhere. We are only talking 3600 ppm salt. A small fraction of ocean water salinity. Honestly the whole “corrosion” issue was concoted by the pool builders as they didn’t want to install it in my opinion. SWG worth every penny.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.