Chlorine is high, CYA is ok, but pool is still green

For CYA you would usually use 7 ml of test water and add 7 ml of regent. To dilute use the same 7 ml of test water, but first add 7 ml of tap water and then squeeze out water to get back to 7 ml and follow the normal instructions but double your result, so if it reads 70 your CYA is 140. For TA you should be able to use a 10 ml same size if it's high. Not sure what kit you have but the 2006 has the instructions right in the lid.

Please post all the actual numbers from the tests in your TF-100 or K-2006 kit. Not descriptive words like "good", "in range", "high", "off the charts", etc. When posters use terms like that, people on this forum start tearing their hair out... Just kidding, but we can't give good advice in response to such vague data.

The original problem was mustard algae.

you need to test your CYA and give us that number. your CANNOT do a SLAM without knowing your CYA. if by "off the charts" you mean over say 80 then you are going to do a partial drain and refill to get your CYA levels to around 40-50 or so. this will also help remove a lot of that copper and other pool store magic potions that are currently in your water. the only thing that those products clear is your bank account.

- - - Updated - - -

well I wish you wouldn't have done that, we are here to help, please ask questions before you do something. if you would have posted your results we would have gave you the info you needed. you said your CYA was off the charts. we would have asked you to do a diluted test to get an exact number. most likely, your first course of action is going to be draining and refilling a large portion of your pool before you can SLAM. the chlorine levels you have to hit with really high CYA are difficult to do and its going to be a lot cheaper to bite the bullet and drain water to get your CYA levels reasonable.

you bought the test kit to get exact numbers...so do that. do a full set of tests and post everything here and we will help you. we don't just "do" things here in hopes it will help. we use precise testing to evaluate the problem and then do only whats needed to fix it. you have the tools you need (the test kit and this website), so I implore you to use them[/QUOTE]

How do I do a diluted CYA test and is there one for alkalinity also?

the person above me posted instructions on how to do the high CYA test. as far as TA goes, just do the standard test. if you go over around 150ppm, just stop the test at that point and report at 150+. TA isn't critical at this point, but your CYA definetly is

the person above me posted instructions on how to do the high CYA test. as far as TA goes, just do the standard test. if you go over around 150ppm, just stop the test at that point and report at 150+. TA isn't critical at this point, but your CYA definetly is

CYA test result was 90. TA was over 150. I have city water so I might just do the chlorine. I don't know what would more costly!

you only have a 7,600 gallon pool, with your CYA then drain 1/2 your pool water and refill with fresh water. should bring your CYA to 40-50 and that is perfect. then proceed with SLAM. having a CYA of 90 for a SLAM can be done, but you don't want to manage a pool with that high of CYA levels for a number of reasons. also, draining half your water and refilling will also reduce your copper by 1/2, another big bonus!

check your water bill, how much do they charge per 1,000 gallons?? you are going to refill about 3,500 gallons and can figure out the cost, I bet around $30 or so

You might also check into a sewer savings on your next water bill by contacting your water company and letting them know what you are doing. In my area, sewer is three times what water usage is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK....Just emptied half of my pool then refilled it. Checked CYA level and it was probably about 90 again. Didn't do diluted test and now I am out of reagent. Getting really tired of all this! No way CYA is 90. Need help...
This is strange indeed.

So, to be clear, when you did your diluted CYA test you got 45-ish, which you doubled to result in a CYA of 90ppm, correct?

Or did the diluted test read 90ppm? That would have made your CYA 180ppm, and a 50% drain and refill would yield 90ppm.

CYA test result was 90. TA was over 150. I have city water so I might just do the chlorine. I don't know what would more costly!

Dom

very good chance you were well over 90. did you shake the mixture, wait 30 seconds before determining your CYA value? if the pool has used pucks and powdered shock, very easy the CYA was 180 or so before you drained. solution is the same, need to drain :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.