Chlorine and stabilizer question

Stephen882

Jun 8, 2018
empire
Bought my pool last year, so this is my second season. Opened pool and it was crystal clear. just about got my #'s to where I want them (I think). Been reading a bunch of post but need some help. Test results are.
F.c.-3.8
C.c.-0
Ph-7.5
Alk-100
Ch-90
Cya-40.
Been putting in the 3 in stabilized tabs. My cya looks good now and I don't want to keep raising it with the tabs. What are yall doing to maintain the chlorine level in your pool.
thanks for the help

Hello,. Plain old bleach (no additives) or Liquid Chloride (same as bleach just higher %).

Your FC is approaching the low side. CYA of 40 target 4-7. Pending what type of pool you have your CH could be low. Fill out your signature with pool equipment, pool type etc etc will assist the experts here

Using the Taylor k-2006 test kit.the booklet has the ideal f.c.to be 2-4 ppm so I was thinking I was good. So my f.c needs to be higher because of my C.a.
Is there a chart or anything to go by in case my ca goes up higher I would know were to have my f.c. I knew my ch was low, I've read a bunch of threads saying it didn't matter with vinyl lined pools so is that true or not. A tablet will dissolve slowly adding a little chlorine at a time to maintain it. What is the best way to add the bleach. Do you have to add a little every day. I'm new to this, especially the bleach part.

Last edited:
welcome to tfp
have a read of pool school, link at top of page
also use the 10ml sample when testing chlorine, your kit will last twice as long
use the fc/cya chart to find your chlorine target
chlorine needs to be added every day
the tablets add equal amounts of stabilizer and chlorine
the chlorine does its job but the cya just gets higher and higher

Yes. 2 methods to add chlorine automatically each day. 1) saltwater chlorine generator 2) bleach injection pump. Either works fine. No one wants to add chlorine every day by hand. You can find help for both methods here.

My pool is new with warranty and it's an above ground pool with metal walls so I don't think swg is a good idea so I guess I will do some more research on a pump. If I have to do it manually with my crazy work schedule I believe I would have problems.

Couple more questions. Them stenner pumps are about half the price of the swcg. My pool is roughly 26,000 gallons. How much chlorine would you have to add to maintain a pool of this size. I know there is a bunch of different variables to consider, I'm just wanting a guesstimate. Also read that storing liquid chlorine is hot weather kills the chlorine so how do you store it outside your pool

Use sodium hypochlorite to chlorinate water. Also, calcium should be a minimum of 150ppm for vinyl or fiber, 200ppm if you have a heater or plaster finish!

Following our methods we recommend no CH in a vinyl pool. Decades ago the vinyl pools had a very high calcium content and it was feared that low CH would leach out of the liner, but that has never been proven. Theyre are a couple of liner manufacturers who still have a minimum CH listed in their warranty documents, and if that is the case it should be followed.

Here are our recommended levels: Pool School - Recommended Levels by Surface Type

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it uncommon to add a gallon of 10% bleach every day. F.c was 3 yesterday added what bleach i had ( a gallon). Test now is 3.5.

You’ve got a big pool. A gallon is raising your FC by about 4. If you are having hot sunny days and a lot of swimming, you might be using up 3-4 in a day.

I would do the OCLT to make sure you aren’t losing FC overnight, and if you pass, I would increase your CYA.

Here you go:

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

- - - Updated - - -

Doing one myself tonight because yesterday I discovered hidden algae in my pool stairs, so I did the OCLT last night and this morning and failed. So I’ve been slamming today, and will try again tonight. (Most SLAMs are longer than a day, but in my case with crystal clear water and very small amounts of algae, I’m hoping I knocked it out quickly!)

You are at minimum for your CYA. I would bump to about 5 or 6, then test in the am before sun comes up.

Are you using Pool Math to determine how much you need to add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.