Chicago intex prism frame winterize or take down?

Tommologna

Jun 3, 2021
Lockport, Illinois
So I’ve got a 16 foot prism frame intex pool. I’m still undecided on whether or not to leave it up and winterize or take it down for the winter. What is everyone’s experience in cold climate cities. I know that the manufacturer says to take down in cold climate but they also say taking down runs the risk of damaging the liner. There is a lot of conflicting info on the internet for both sides so I would just like peoples PERSONAL EXPERIENCE of what they done in cities with rough winter weather. Thank you.

Attachments

• 3E56E624-C2EC-4776-B7DB-31201EFB5CF2.jpeg
    3E56E624-C2EC-4776-B7DB-31201EFB5CF2.jpeg
    648.1 KB · Views: 10
The issue i have found with taking these kind of pools down for the winter is the storage. It must be completely dry on both sides so it doesn’t mold/ mildew & stick to itself etc. Also it needs to be sealed up or mice can chew holes in it. This can be hard to accomplish since it’s quite large.
There are several members here who winterize them in cold climates.
Let’s get one on the horn 📣….
@jseyfert3

I've bookmarked this picture so I can find it easier. :ROFLMAO:
full

That's my Intex pool last winter here in southern Wisconsin. I drained water below my inlets, removed all hoses and valves and put those inside along with the pump and filter. If a sand filter that can really stay outside if drained, valve in winter position and covered. Otherwise bring it in.

The main issue I see with your pool is it looks a little shorter and the inlets appear to be about 1/2 way down the pool. I think draining the pool over half way would be a little much. I drained about 1/4, or maybe 1/3 to get below my inlets. One thing though with my skimmer is I no longer use those inlets, and because I kept all the stuff that came with my Intex I discovered they include two black plugs that can actually plug the inlets from the inside. I think with your pool if left up you'd want to plug the inlets so you can remove the hoses but not drain the pool over half way, which I feel would leave it a bit unstable. Perhaps someone who has a shorter Intex pool could chime in if that's the case or what they do.

full

That's my Intex pool last winter here in southern Wisconsin. I drained water below my inlets, removed all hoses and valves and put those inside along with the pump and filter. If a sand filter that can really stay outside if drained, valve in winter position and covered. Otherwise bring it in.

The main issue I see with your pool is it looks a little shorter and the inlets appear to be about 1/2 way down the pool. I think draining the pool over half way would be a little much. I drained about 1/4, or maybe 1/3 to get below my inlets. One thing though with my skimmer is I no longer use those inlets, and because I kept all the stuff that came with my Intex I discovered they include two black plugs that can actually plug the inlets from the inside. I think with your pool if left up you'd want to plug the inlets so you can remove the hoses but not drain the pool over half way, which I feel would leave it a bit unstable. Perhaps someone who has a shorter Intex pool could chime in if that's the case or what they do.
Thanks for your reply. I do have those plugs as well. My pool is 48”. My yard is sloped so I had to dig a bit to level it but yeah the lowest inlets would be about halfway down and I worry draining too much would compromise the stability. If I have the plugs I’m not sure what the issue would be if I didn’t drain past them.
full

Yeah. If I drained past the lowest inlets I worry it would compromise the stability. I do have the same plugs you’re talking about though so I think I could plug them. Do most people say to drain below the inlets because they don’t have the plugs? Is there a reason you don’t use a cover?

Thanks for your reply. I do have those plugs as well. My pool is 48”. My yard is sloped so I had to dig a bit to level it but yeah the lowest inlets would be about halfway down and I worry draining too much would compromise the stability. If I have the plugs I’m not sure what the issue would be if I didn’t drain past them.

Yeah. If I drained past the lowest inlets I worry it would compromise the stability. I do have the same plugs you’re talking about though so I think I could plug them. Do most people say to drain below the inlets because they don’t have the plugs? Is there a reason you don’t use a cover?
Sorry for the double reply. I thought the first one didn’t post. Haha

So most guides say drain below the return, as I am aware most hard side above ground pools use a skimmer as the only inlet and then have a return, so the return is lower than the inlets.

I don’t think there would be any issue with plugging the inlets and leaving the water level higher than that, but I’m just being cautious by seeing if anyone else has done that. I think I may try that myself this winter so I don’t have to drain as much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.