Chems to NOT mix?

Feb 6, 2013
Jupiter, Florida
Getting everything balanced after hurricane Irma and week(s) worth of additional rain and winds. Added some liquid chlorine last night which took it to 13 and I will let it back down to 4-5 or so. CC is 0. Cyanuric acid is good at 75. Need to add a little stabilizer, bring up the calcium and raise the alkalinity. Somewhere in the back of my brain I remember something about not adding two of these three chems together but don't remember which two. Did I dream that or is there an agreed upon way to add calcium, stabilizer and alkalinity up? Thanks in advance!

Thanks. I wrte that wrong. I am trying to get CYA a little higher to 75..ish which is a judgement call on where it is exactly...who knows? Waist high, light behind you all of that stuff. I do know it seems a little low compared to how I normally see it while testing so just adding a small amount, 12 ounces or so. Now for the dummy part. I don't remember anything about chlorine and MA at the same time being bad. Guess I need to read some more. Of course I added them one right after the other last night. Going to be testing a lot over the next several days to make sure things are all ok so I guess I will see the result...so calcium and alkalinity up are ok at the same time...

Calcium and alkalinity up (baking soda) can be added at the same time. There is a chance the water will cloud up some but it will go away.

Absolutely do not add muriatic acid and liquid chlorine at the same time. A chlorine gas cloud is nothing to be trifled at. It can kill.

Be easy on additives right now. Go slow you do not over shoot on anything.

Take care.

Thanks guys. When I said "same time" I didn't mean pour them together or anything close. I put the chlorine in and then went to shed and messed around a bit and then got the chlorine and put it in. at least 15 minutes between. Forget the chlorine, the muriatic acid will put a hurting on you by itself. Don't breathe the whole time and try to pour it in from upwind as well. I also pour liquid andgranulars while walking around the pool to spread them out with the exeption being stabilizer which goes in a sock in the skimmer. I thought there might be some consequence of putting them in the same day or something. The calcium and alk up will be separated by a few hours. That will give me a full 24 hours of adding things. I really appreciate everyone's help. Had to go to Leslie's to get the stabilizer today. don't like to but it was just easier. I am amazed at the lack of knowledge in that place. But that's another thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.