Rahatmanom

Jun 21, 2021
Appleton, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just got water in our new above ground pool and finished testing the water. 9,000 gallon pool.
Chlorine = 0 - just added 26 oz of 12.5% per PoolMath app
CYA = 0 - just put 1.75 lbs in a sock hanging in the pool
Ph = 6.5
TA = 210

The Pool Math app is indicating to add 11 lbs of soda ash to raise the Ph, but I’m concerned about that high TA number and this is my first pool experience.

What do you recommend?

Thank you in advance! I’ve learned so much here already! :)

Do your pool have an air inlet nozzle? Looks like this: Amazon.com: Intex 12355 Large Inlet Air Nozzle: Garden & Outdoor

If it does you should see bubbles coming out of the return. This aeration will drive the pH up without using any chemicals. If you don't have that type of nozzle then you may need to use Borax to raise the pH. Since pH is very low it is best to do several small adjustments to reach your goal.

Reactions: Rahatmanom
Yes! It has a nozzle like that.

At this time, I have the pump set to run overnight with the outlet “eyeball” pointing up to aerate and no cover on the pool.

Would you recommend I continue in this way and not add any chemicals to adjust the pH at this time?

My children can’t wait to swim in the freezing cold water of the new pool 🤣 - is it safe for them under these conditions or do I need them to wait until I have things more in range?

This morning:
FC at 3
pH at 7.4. 🥳

I’m keeping the cover off and the pump running today to help the CA dissolve and keep the pH rise going. I’ll test everything again when I get home from work.

Any other advice for now?

Thank you so much zea3 for the quick support - I appreciate it so much! ☺️

Reactions: zea3
Your pH is good for now. If it hits 8 you will need to bring it back down. Since TA is high you will probably be dropping the pH fairly often. When you lower pH TA will also lower some. Eventually you will reach a TA number where the pH rise evens out. Its different for each pool but usually falls in the 70-100 range for TA. Just mentioning this so if you find you are always having to drop pH, this is why.

If the CYA is slow to dissolve you can give the sock a few squeezes to speed up the process.

Reactions: Rahatmanom
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.