Chemicals question

angiern2004

May 4, 2020
Northern CA
Filling my Summer Waves 14x42. At what point do you start testing the water and adding whatever it needs?

and at what point can you swim in it?

Last edited:

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Test the water as soon as the pump is circulating the water and begin adding chemicals.

I would give the water 30 minutes to circulate after adding chemicals before swimming.

Last edited:
Reactions: rj2222

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
and if you meant swim in it for the first time of the season, I always like to shock it once before I get in, because who knows what built up in their over the winter, or whatever state it was before you filled it. Might just be paranoia, but gives me peace of mind.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Get it full, get it circulating, check for leaks. The, if you know how to use poolmath, add 3 ppm FC. Then fumble with the CYA and the sock. By then the water has probably mixed enough to test pH and TA. Adjust pH if needed. Give things fifteen minutes. That's about the time you need to get the kids slathered up with sunscreen and changed. Throw them in. Less than an hour from "Shut the water off, please," to "Stop that or I'll make you get out." :mrgreen:

You'll probably need to wait a few days until it gets warm enough to suit you. 🥶

Reactions: Windylou
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.