Chemicals added w/o filtration - help with next steps, please!

esuvu6uz.jpg

Here is a picture of my return. The gray part of the liner is at the top of my pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plastic clamps with a strong spring would work, just make sure to put a towel over the liner to keep from damaging it. Like jblizzle said, a telescoping pole would work too, just lay it across to the left and the right.

Sand filter plumbing questions

Now that my filter valve should arrive by Friday :whoot:, I'm starting to think about how to hook everything up. I know lots of people use PVC for connections between pump and filter, but is this absolutely necessary? Could I use standard pool hose with those 2" circular clamps between pump and filter instead? I just really hate working with PVC.

Also, if I am putting my stabilizer in a sock in front of my return in the pool, it should be okay for me to backwash without having to worry about wasting stabilizer, right?

I will tell you that even my husband could not get the clamps tight enough to not a tiny/slow drip. He went so far as to put on TWO clamps! That did slow it down but.................

We also went with PVC due to our dogs and cats. They could run into the pipes and take them out.........

CCs at 2.5?! SLAM time...

Well, it seems that my pool saga / drama has no end in sight! Tonight I finally received the TF-100 and I couldn't wait to tear into it and test my pool water. My excitement quickly abated, however, after seeing that my CCs were 2.5 ppm. Here were my full results: FC (1 ppm), CC (2.5 ppm), pH (7.5), CYA (20 ppm), TA (140 ppm), and CH (0 ppm). Well, of course I know what this means...it's SLAM time :(. My pH is in range and I can go ahead with the SLAM process, but should I SLAM without a working filter (I will remind everyone that I am currently only circulating water using my pump (filter has been completely bypassed))?

Also, the water looks really clean. It is nice and clear and even sparkles in the sun.

Last edited:
Re: CCs at 2.5?! SLAM time...

Well, it seems that my pool saga / drama has no end in sight! Tonight I finally received the TF-100 and I couldn't wait to tear into it and test my pool water. My excitement quickly abated, however, after seeing that my CCs were 2.5 ppm. Here were my full results: FC (1 ppm), CC (2.5 ppm), pH (7.5), CYA (20 ppm), TA (140 ppm), and CH (0 ppm). Well, of course I know what this means...it's SLAM time :(. My pH is in range and I can go ahead with the SLAM process, but should I SLAM without a working filter (I will remind everyone that I am currently only circulating water using my pump (filter has been completely bypassed))?

Also, the water looks really clean. It is nice and clear and even sparkles in the sun.
Verify the FC and CC tomorrow. Don't forget that CYA takes about a week to show up on tests, so don't add more if you just added some. The rest can be dealt with later. Is there a bunch of junk in the pool? That needs to come out or you'll waste bleach trying to kill it. So no SLAM yet, since you can't filter it out.

But if the pool is clear and clean and you have enough bleach at home...

Jugs away!
attachment.php

You won't lose any FC to sunlight if you get it in the water tonight!

SLAM process started today...already over??

I finally addressed my filter issues, and I have a working filter! I fixed the filter on Friday, and have had it running for several hours since to clean all the crud out of the pool, as recommended by Richard. Today I started the SLAM process, and here were my test results at 12:00 PM today: FC (5 ppm), CC (2 ppm) -- ADDED 115 oz. BLEACH TO RAISE FC TO 12 ppm...I know 12 ppm is overkill (my CYA is somewhere between 20-25 ppm and I have not yet added any additional stabilizer because I wanted to have a working filter first). After adding the bleach, I waited about an hour, got in the pool and I brushed, vacuumed and skimmed the pool thoroughly. I retested about 5 hours later, at 4:45 PM, and here are those results: FC (6.5 ppm), CC (0.5 ppm) -- ADDED 90 oz. BLEACH TO RAISE FC TO 12 ppm. I know that I still have to pass the OCLT, but the CCs seem to be acceptable, and the water is crystal, sparkling, shiny, beautiful blue...no dullness or cloudiness whatsoever. I am going to test again around 10:00 PM and then I'll test early tomorrow morning to see if I pass OCLT. If my CCs continue to be 0.5 ppm or less, I pass OCLT, and the water retains its current appearance, then I suppose I have finished SLAM?!? Is it typical to finish SLAMing in such a short period of time? I'm not trying to jump the gun here, and I know more testing is needed, but is it typical for SLAMing to take a couple of days to finish?

Once again, thank you for all the help. You guys have been critical to getting my pool in shape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.