chemical question

hogrydr

Jun 20, 2023
norman, ok
im new to this site. got directed here while "googling" a question. ive had my saltwater pool for 16 yrs now with absolutely no problems and water is always nice and clear. i did change liner 3 yrs ago. when i go and have my water tested it always tests good. during my last test i was told i will need to add 25 lbs of calcium before august. ive researched calcium and seems it drops free chlorine to zip, some folks say it clouds their water or doesnt dissolve. somewhere on this site i saw a post that said you "Dont" need to add calcium to a vinyl liner pool. now i have no idea whether to purchase and add the $60 tub of calcium or not. anyone have opinions on this?

Welcome to the forum!
A vinyl pool does not need calcium. If you have a gas fired heater, it might recommend a CH of 200 ppm.

I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
my 17 yr old 13.000 gal "sport" saltwater pool has always been trouble free and the water always perfectly clear even at season opening time. just have to vacuum a bit of dirt off the bottom. ive owned and cared for 3 pools in my 69 yrs. altho im not a " licensed professional" i do know how to care for a pool. i even taken care of my elderly neighbors "chlorine" pool for yrs now. i began shopping for calcium (checking for cheaper than store prices) and starting reading reviews on the products i found and those reviews led me to "googling" calcium in pools. then this site popped up and thats where i read "you dont need to add calcium to vinyl liner pools. the pool store i use said its needed because of something along the lines of "water leeching" and eating into the liner. now i am really confused. store says i need it, this site says i dont and i darn sure dont want something bad happening to my 3 yr old liner. while i chatting with you, do you have a preference on which "test" kit you like?

Unless you have a heater, you do not need calcium in the pool. In older times, people were worried about calcium leeching because there was a belief that calcium was used in the manufacturing process. That is no longer true.

If you have low calcium and you find your pool foams, get to 100-150 CH and you should see that go away. If you don't see that don't add calcium

If you have a heater, follow the manufactuer's CH requirements.

Here are the test kits...Link--->Test Kits Compared

then this site popped up and thats where i read "you dont need to add calcium to vinyl liner pools. the pool store i use said its needed because of something along the lines of "water leeching" and eating into the liner. now i am really confused. store says i need it, this site says i dont and i darn sure dont want something bad happening to my 3 yr old liner. while i chatting with you, do you have a preference on which "test" kit you like?
Keep in mind that we are not trying to profit off of you. The pool store is and there are many instances where they provide false information to sell you stuff, either due to deception or incompetence.

As for the test kits, see my signature for the TF100 which is the recommended kit here.