Chemical Question when Opening Pool (first time opener).

rich6429

Nov 25, 2021
Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
First off, I have a Salt Water Pool. But I didnt run the SWG last year since the pool only stayed open for 2 weeks after construction and winter closing. So safe to say salt level is zero or very little. I did balance the other chemicals (PH, etc) prior to closing.

Here's the question...

When opening, I will fill up the pool to the skimmer level and will test the water chemistry. (I do have the Taylor K-2006 kit ;)). I will test for PH, Alk, CYA and FC. My question is...do I balance those chemicals first prior to adding salt? Or do I add salt, and let the salt work itself through for 24 hrs and then test for PH, Alk, CYA, etc? NOt sure if order matters, or if I can just do it all at the same time.

thanks.

Order really does not matter.

Add salt then test or test then add salt. You don't need to adjust any chemicals before getting the salt in the pool to dissolve.

Just leave at least 15 minutes before adding chlorine and acid.

Did they add salt when they finished the construction or did the close without adding any salt? My builder salted my pool even though I didn't run my SWG.

If you are unsure, I would test the water first for salt before you add any.

Did they add salt when they finished the construction or did the close without adding any salt? My builder salted my pool even though I didn't run my SWG.

If you are unsure, I would test the water first for salt before you add any.
no salt was ever added post construction. Ran the pool with chlorine granules for a few weeks before closing. SWG was never turned on during this time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.