Chemical levels after refilling pool......

Jan 27, 2018
Mobile, Al
Hello,
I'm trying to get my chemical levels correct and need a little help. We replaced the liner last week so I'm starting from scratch. I added salt, baking soda and calcium chloride per my local pool store in getting started. Note: I added 3 more bags of salt then their recommended 16 because my levels were showing slightly low on my SWG at 2300. However they jumped way up there after adding just those 3 bags to 4300, as shown on swg?

These are my chemical levels according to TF100 and Taylor sodium chloride (salt) test.

1. FC = no reading
2. CC = no reading
3. TC = no reading
4. Calcium = 225
5. TA = 110
6. Sodium chloride = 5000
7. CYA = haven't added so didn't test

My Hayward SWG says it is generating so does it take several days for my chlorine levels to read? Should I add fresh water in getting the salt level down or not worry about it?

Thanks,
Ralph

You should get FC and CYA to the proper levels using bleach/liquid chlorine and CYA granules prior to using the SWCG. The SWCG is good at maintaining your chlorine levels. But not so good at raising them.

In your area you get rain so I would suggest pulling some water out each time you are expected to get a rain storm and your salt level will come down some. It is not really hurting anything at the level you have it, other than nearly everyone will be able to taste it.

You did not post pH or TA. Be sure to keep your pH in the 7's and do not stress over the TA unless it drops below 50 ppm. There was no reason to add the calcium chloride with a vinyl pool. So do not spend more money on any of that.

Take care.

Hey mknauss,
Thanks for the reply! I listed my TA but forgot to list the PH. Anyhow they are as follows.

TA = 110
PH = 7.8

Questions:

1. Do I add bleach or chlorine? If I add bleach does it matter what brand and how many gallons? If I add chlorine can I do a tablet or dilute granules in a bucket, then add to water? I am not sure exactly what to do here?

2. How much CYA will I need to add for 25k pool?

3. Should I turn off my swg until I increase chlorine and CYA?

God Bless,
Ralph

Last edited:
Use PoolMath to determine how much CYA you need to get to 30 ppm to start. Eventually, as summer approaches, you will want to maintain a CYA of 50 ppm or so.

Liquid chlorine and bleach are the same thing, just different concentration. Solid chlorine products are not recommended for daily maintenance. They add either CYA or Calcium, both which build up in your pool water and require water exchange to get rid of them.

Keep your pH in the 7's. It will rise as your TA is elevated. As you add muriatic acid to reduce your pH each time it gets to 8 your TA will come down.

Hello mknauss,

So I added some liquid chlorine, CYA and a touch of muriatic acid and here are my numbers.

FC = 9
CC = .5
TC = 9.5
CH = 350
TA = 140
CYA = 22
PH = 7.2
Salt = 5500

I realize my CYA needs to come up and my salt level needs to go down so what should I do at this point? Also, what is my ideal target levels for each item for a 25k gallon salt water pool?

Thanks for all your help.
Ralph

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That will start you with the guidance you need. Unlike the pool store, we will not teach you to simply dump in some chemistry. We want to teach you why.

How does your water look? Please fill out your city and state. Our advice depends significantly on where you live.

As Dave said be sure to read Pool School to understand the values and ranges for your water chemistry.

I would suggest adding enough CYA granules using the sock method to raise your CYA by 10 ppm and then retest in a week or so. As we approach summer you will want to raise your CYA gradually to be in the range for SWCG pools.
When your pH rises to 8 lower it to 7.4 -7.6. With your high TA the pH will rise more rapidly. As the TA falls the pH should settle in the 7's.

Maintain your FC based on the FC/CYA chart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Guys,

I have read "The ABC's of pool Chemistry" and "Pool Math" etc. but thanks. I'm still learning but I do have a good general idea of chemistry levels and was able to keep our pool crystal clear all last summer. It is clear now as well.

*My question is, from personal/professional experience, do you recommend doing anything drastic such as partially draining the pool given my numbers? Or would you just let the levels come down naturally?

The ABC's and Pool Math can tell me what my levels need to be but it doesn't tell me if I need to take immediate or drastic measures. I assume the FC will come down naturally if I turn off my SWG or put it at a low setting. I also assume my salt, which is at 5500, will dissipate over time naturally.

So given my numbers is there anything you'd do immediately or would you just gradually adjust the chemical levels over the next few weeks?

Thanks,
Ralph

No real need to drain or do anything drastic. Your salinity will come down as I suspect it rains in your area and thus you can drain off some water each time you are going to get a significant rain. Or just rely on the overflow.

Your FC is not all that high. Barely at SLAM level. It will burn off in a couple days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.