Chemical Free Alternative? Is it to Good to be True?

Jul 18, 2015
Katy TX
In searching for an under-counter water filter for our kitchen sink, I came across a product for a pool that sounds too good to be true. I know, I know, it probably is however....... it's worth at least asking. Has anybody used this product before? The Pool CuZn & Spa CuZn – CuZn Water Filters It's advertised as a chemical free pool treatment that is used in thousands of pools. Anybody heard of it or use it?

R,

I believe what they meant to say is that it is installed in one pool and they have gone through a thousand discs and they still have algae... :laughblue:

Sounds like some metal based system to me..

Thanks, but I'll stick with chlorine, so that I know I'm safe.

Thanks for the chuckle,

Jim R.

Many products offer copper as a pool alternative. Cooper does not sanatize your pool. Chlorine does. .

You don’t want copper in your pool water. It can cause staining, and turn hair and nails green.

It appears Ive walked into a standup comedy site :laughblue::laughblue:

Chemical free that uses copper and zinc, last I knew they were both chemicals, chemical free, what a crock...

Sorry Katy, I’m inferring no disrespect to you, the companies or cousin Eddie’s that make this stuff up astound me, they falsify sudo scientific reports, makeup fancy sales pitches, attack established chlorine science and there are thousands of people who swallow it, hook line and sinker.

Last edited:
I tried a quick search for a SDS and didn’t find one, but my gut screams Jim is right that it’s a metal based setup. They likely combine Copper (Cu) and Zink (Zn) to fight of algae. In the end it does kill algae ALTHOUGH at a very slow speed. Much slower than algae can reproduce and MUCH slower than chlorine. As a major side effect introducing metals to your water will lead you to a pool that’s full of stains on the plaster surface that are a pain to remove.

Copper and zinc do not sanitize water, if they claim it does then they are lying. Their suggestion of using hydrogen peroxide to sanitize (so much for chemical free) is incorrect as peroxide does not provide sanitation unless the levels are high enough to cause discomfort. They tout how toxic chlorine and bromine are and then sell someone on unsanitary water.

Is there a problem with your TFPC water? I wonder since it seems if someone's current water is clear and comfortable then they probably wouldn't be referring to an alternative as "too good to be true".

Copper and zinc do not sanitize water, if they claim it does then they are lying. Their suggestion of using hydrogen peroxide to sanitize (so much for chemical free) is incorrect as peroxide does not provide sanitation unless the levels are high enough to cause discomfort. They tout how toxic chlorine and bromine are and then sell someone on unsanitary water.

Is there a problem with your TFPC water? I wonder since it seems if someone's current water is clear and comfortable then they probably wouldn't be referring to an alternative as "too good to be true".

Water in the pool is fine - just seeing if there is an even easier way to keep it that way. Hence, "too good to be true" referred to the possibility of an easier and less expensive method than TFP.

One of the main bullet points on the Amazon listing:

The Following Products are Typically All That is Needed When Using the Spa CuZn System: Scum Bug, Clarifier & Potassium Monopersulfate Based Shock

And if the question is ever, "Is it too good to be true?", the answer is always, ALWAYS, YES.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.