Chemical expiration

Welcome to TFP!

Solid chemicals are typically fine as long as you keep them in the container and they don't get wet. Liquid chlorine is one that loses its strength over time so I wouldn't leave it for the winter. Same with muriatic acid.

All that said, there isn't a whole lot of stuff you are going to find in the pool aisle on sale that we would recommend anyway, so buying it on sale is still money wasted.

One thing I do know about pool chemicals at Wal-Mart, They do not put anything on end of season sale, it gets bought back at full price by vendor, not sure what they even have other than stabilizer that most are interested in or only need.
When we first had our pool built a few years ago I was worried I may have a week- end where the pool needed something and pool store was closed so I wanted to make sure I was covered.
Had on my shelf, PH up , PH down, chlorine tabs, silk sticks, almost everything that did one thing or another, boy I was ready for the Armageddon.
After finding this forum and for the past 3 years I learned all I need is Liquid Chlorine / bleach, stabilizer, muriatic acid due to high TA fill water and maybe a algicide for open / close, just for piece of mind.
baking soda and Borax , have a few but have not needed. Everything else , if your test results are good is a waste if on sale or not.

As said above it all depends on what it is and more importantly on how it's stored.

If you store bleach in a cold dark place it will stay good for a few months.
Muriatic acid is a lot more stabile than most people think. It will last for many months sitting out in the sun in its vented container.
Powders and granules will last indefinitely, if they're stored in air tight containers and are not exposed to moisture.

I’ve been told many different variances on this topic. If I purchase end of season stock chemicals for next years pool season, will I be wasting my money or truly saving?

Where are you in Michigan? Menards has a ale every April (and also around July 4th) with 2-for-1 chlorine and acid. That's the best time to stock up, just as the season is starting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.