Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Current results:
FC - 4
TA - 60
CYA - 30 (but the solution never gets cloudy so...might need new test kit?)
PH - 7.8
CH - 250
CSI - -.15
Temp - 71

Pool math tells me to add Calcium Chloride for the CH (Is this still available in bulk at Home Depot/Lowes?) and Baking Soda to increase TA. Does that sound like the best plan? My CYA number could be way off. We had lots of water loss over Freezemageddon this winter so that could be part of the issue. Either way, I’ll buy new test reagents today and test again. Water is crystal clear and CSI is in range. Am I on the right track?

Your TA is fine. Test it each time you plan to add acid. Add 20 ppm worth of baking soda if you drop to 50.
The CH could go up some. What is the CH of your fill water? Calcium is harder to come by. Most get it off Amazon. Watch out for the Snow Melt stuff, lots of additives.
The CYA reagent is most likely fine if it did not freeze over winter. Might add 20 ppm CYA to help FC loss. How are you chlorinating the pool water?

Your TA is fine. Test it each time you plan to add acid. Add 20 ppm worth of baking soda if you drop to 50.
The CH could go up some. What is the CH of your fill water? Calcium is harder to come by. Most get it off Amazon. Watch out for the Snow Melt stuff, lots of additives.
The CYA reagent is most likely fine if it did not freeze over winter. Might add 20 ppm CYA to help FC loss. How are you chlorinating the pool water?
Just tested CH of fill water @ 150. I’m using 12% liquid bleach for chlorine.

Just tested CH of fill water @ 150. I’m using 12% liquid bleach for chlorine.
Great. So, if you typically add fill water due to evaporation, I would not add much or any calcium. But if you rarely use fill water then add about 75-100 ppm calcium.

Reactions: PaigeMark
Great. So, if you typically add fill water due to evaporation, I would not add much or any calcium. But if you rarely use fill water then add about 75-100 ppm calcium.
Thank you for your help! The fill water is an auto-fill and the pool is in full sun so there is constant evaporation and refilling going on. I’ll get the CYA taken care of and see how the FC holds.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.