Checking My Thoughts On LC Purchases

Ssouthar

Bronze Supporter
Dec 27, 2019
Elk Grove, Ca
Hey folks! I wanted to bounce this off on all of you. I found a great source of ChemTek LC at the local Bell Air market down the street. They seemed to always have it in stock and it tends to be about 3 months old. Then with the SIP going on, I noticed they were out but I had a couple cases stored and wasn't concerned. Last week I noticed they had more in stock but they were 5 months old. It was early morning and workers were stocking nearby so I asked one of them. Turns out he was the right guy because he orders the stuff. I asked him if he realized his stock was quite old and they soon should be pulling it from the shelves. He was completely unaware of LC having an expiration date. I should him how to read the label and was appreciative and promised to talk to management to educate them. I've always read 6 months at room temperature but honestly, I don't have a clue what is true and thus, here I am. Also, I decided to try Leslie's Pool Supply because I was nearby the other day. Had been in there a couple weeks before and they were completely out. This time, they had just gotten a shipment of HASA 10% LC so I snagged a couple cases. However, I looked at the time stamp and it was made on Jan 10th. Wha?? They just get a shipment in and it's already 4 months old?? That doesn't sound right and I mentioned it to the guy at the store and he just shrugged. I ask, why do I shop there? LOL! Honestly, I don't unless it's urgent. So... my question is, am I over-thinking this? Is 6 months at room temperature the limit of 100% effectiveness or is it degrading all along and at 6 months, I have a stock of LC that is not working for me any longer?

Even if it was stored in a non-controlled environment the last 6 months, it has been during the winter months, so it's not going to degrade like it would if it were 6 months during the summer in Florida or Arizona. :)

Keep looking. Somewhere there is a pool supply that sells HASA bleach in returnable bottles. You know those yellow and orange milk crates you see in the back of every pool service truck? That's them. The stuff turns over fast, so it's full strength. The HASA website dealer locator seems to still be broken, but if you email them, they can tell you if they have any retailers nearby. Or you can keep watch and catch a neighbor's pool boy when he shows up and ask him where he gets his.

Depends on storage temperature.
Depends on storage temperature.
Thanks for the link mknauss! That was very helpful!

Keep looking. Somewhere there is a pool supply that sells HASA bleach in returnable bottles. You know those yellow and orange milk crates you see in the back of every pool service truck? That's them. The stuff turns over fast, so it's full strength. The HASA website dealer locator seems to still be broken, but if you email them, they can tell you if they have any retailers nearby. Or you can keep watch and catch a neighbor's pool boy when he shows up and ask him where he gets his.
That's a good idea Richard! I checked and its funny because I never realized there was a pool store even closer to me than the Leslie's store which is a good 15 minutes away. I think I'll call a friends pool guy and see where he gets his from. I spoke to him initially when we moved in back in August and he was super nice and helpful. He put me in touch with a repair guy that he uses for the complicate repairs and we got our pool running smooth in no time. I'll check back with him.
Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.