Check valve spring

John_and_Val

Gold Supporter
Mar 30, 2018
Sunrise/FL
@bdavis466
Question:
I thought I saw something about removing the spring from a check valve. I have a pentair check valve hooked up to my heater plumbing. At this moment I have to run my XF pump at 2000 rpm in order for me to have the check valve open AND be able to still produce chlorine via the SWG ( I do this once a day - just to flush the heaters).
If I remove the spring from the check valve, will I be able to reduce the rpms? Will the check valve even have a purpose if I remove the spring?

John

@bdavis466
Question:
I thought I saw something about removing the spring from a check valve. I have a pentair check valve hooked up to my heater plumbing. At this moment I have to run my XF pump at 2000 rpm in order for me to have the check valve open AND be able to still produce chlorine via the SWG ( I do this once a day - just to flush the heaters).
If I remove the spring from the check valve, will I be able to reduce the rpms? Will the check valve even have a purpose if I remove the spring?

John

The check valves are a little deceiving because it looks like they are severely restricting the flow when the flapper is not fully open but in reality the flow rate probably doesn't warrant it to be fully open anyway. Regardless, removing the spring will prevent any unnecessary restriction.

The check valve should still work as long as gravity will help to push the flapper closed but that's going to depend on the orientation of the actual valve. The Springs are easy enough to remove so you could try it out and see if it works in your situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.