Check valve needed for intellichlor ic60?

altapoolguy

Gold Supporter
Aug 29, 2023
Altadena, CA
Hey guys, I'm days away from installing an ic60 in my pool and two people (my former pool man that I like very much and a guy at the pool store who seems fairly knowledgeable) have told me that I should put a check valve between my swcg and my heater. My swcg is going to be 6+ feet away from my heater and installed in a "loop" so that it's in the pentair recommended vertical orientation.

I've seen a couple posts on here saying that a check valve is unnecessary and I'd prefer to not have one if I don't need one. Just another thing to go wrong or need tweaking. Anyone know definitively whether I need one or not?

A,

You don't need the check valve and you don't really need a "loop"..

Are you just installing it vertically, or are you adding a by-pass loop???

Keep in mind the water must flow UP through the cell...

Thanks,

Jim R.

A,

You don't need the check valve and you don't really need a "loop"..

Are you just installing it vertically, or are you adding a by-pass loop???

Keep in mind the water must flow UP through the cell...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Just installing it vertically without bypass loop. My main reason for this is that the PVC in that area is half buried and rainwater flows over it when we get heavy rains. I figured it would be a good idea to keep the ic60 out of the occasional rainwater river. Secondary reason was pentair recommending the vertical config though I've read here a few times it's not needed.

And, yes, water will flow up through cell and then back down.

Maybe I can reconfigure the horizontal PVC run to just be high enough off the ground to be out of the way of the occasional rain runoff. I like having it where it is because it's supported by the dirt but I'm the only one who walks there so as long as I don't stomp on my own PVC I'm probably ok. :)

Hey guys, I'm days away from installing an ic60 in my pool and two people (my former pool man that I like very much and a guy at the pool store who seems fairly knowledgeable) have told me that I should put a check valve between my swcg and my heater. My swcg is going to be 6+ feet away from my heater and installed in a "loop" so that it's in the pentair recommended vertical orientation.

I've seen a couple posts on here saying that a check valve is unnecessary and I'd prefer to not have one if I don't need one. Just another thing to go wrong or need tweaking. Anyone know definitively whether I need one or not?
Just a word based on my experience. Refer to the owners manual for your heater. If it specifies a check valve then install one or run the risk that any warranty issues with the HX will be difficult. I completely understand and agree with the science of not needing a check valve for a SWCG however the OEM for the Heater will fall back on their requirement should you have an issue.

Just a word based on my experience. Refer to the owners manual for your heater. If it specifies a check valve then install one or run the risk that any warranty issues with the HX will be difficult. I completely understand and agree with the science of not needing a check valve for a SWCG however the OEM for the Heater will fall back on their requirement should you have an issue.
Thank you for that. I'll check the manual. Though I'm likely past warranty for both my heaters at this point anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Horizontal or vertical install is perfectly fine.

As Allen stated, install a heater bypass. The check valve is part of the heater bypass and bypassing the heater will allow running your VS pump at a lower RPM while still satisfying the SWG flow switch (saving electricity).

Horizontal or vertical install is perfectly fine.

As Allen stated, install a heater bypass. The check valve is part of the heater bypass and bypassing the heater will allow running your VS pump at a lower RPM while still satisfying the SWG flow switch (saving electricity).
I wish I'd known this prior to installing everything. I do have to run my pump at a higher rpm than expected to get the swg on. Maybe I'll get one installed soon. I think I'm going to replace my old dump valve with a multiport so maybe I'll do it then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.