Check Valve Failed - Which One?

Texanscot

Sep 7, 2019
Texas
My main circulation pump failed a few days ago and while waiting for repair I noted that my hot tub drained. From various sites on the web I understand that this is normally indicative of a failed check valve which is allowing water from the hot tub to drain back to the pool.

My question is regarding how I might identify the particular valve that has failed. I've attached a picture of my pool return configuration. Essentially what I see is that water flows from the heater through a check valve and into a diverter valve that has outputs to both the pool and spa. There is, on the spa return line, a connection with a second check valve that goes into the ground. I can't for the life of me figure what this is for but I'm thinking that this check valve may be the one that has failed.

However it appears that there is a separate jet pump that provides water to the water feature (waterfall over side of spa) that also has a check valve on the discharge side (see the attached pic). I don't know where the suction for this pump is but assuming that it comes from the pool failure of this check valve could also result in drainage from the hot tub to the pool.

Is there a way to figure out which of these two check valves is the one that has failed?

Also, when replacing the check valve do I need to close any valves to isolate the system or is it sufficient to simply have the pump turned off?

IMG_2495.JPGIMG_2493.JPG

The water feature pump should suck water in from the spa and return it to the spa. It would not drain water back from the pool if its intake is in the spa.

That leaves you with the check valve on the spa return line. If it drains water then you need to plug the return in the spa before opening it up.

Last edited:
The water feature pump should suck water in from the spa and eturn it to the spa. It would not drain water back from the pool if its intake is in the spa.

That leaves you with the check valve on the spa return line. If it drains water then you need to plug the return in the spa before opening it up.

Thanks for your response. Can you advise how I would plug the return in the spa in order to be able to replace the valve.

Thanks for your response. Can you advise how I would plug the return in the spa in order to be able to replace the valve.

Stuff towels in it, use a potato, or buy plugs used for winterizing.

I believe you can pump the water from the spa into the pool. Until you get to your spa drains. Should be enough to keep the check valve area dry.

If you put your actuated valve to Spa suction and the return to Pool, it will pump out of the spa and into the pool.

Your actuated valves have a toggle switch on them. They are on-off-on. Move them to get the valves set for the above. Be sure to move them back once you are done. It will fill the spa when you do.

If you have automation (a Signature would be of great help) it may have a Drain function. That will do the same thing.

Look on the outdoor panel. Spa Drain button is on the top left. Put the panel in Service Mode. Press Pump. Press Spa Drain. Turn off pump when spa at the required level. Leave panel in Service mode while you do repairs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.