Cheaper Alternative to PH Down

Nov 10, 2009
I'm new here and very stoked to be a member. We recently bought an Arctic Spa Cub and I immediately found these forums, drained my tub and have started balancing my water with the Taylor kit. However, I found out that our Alkalinity straight out of the faucet is already 250ppm. I'm on my 2nd fill right now(drained my tub on Sunday to begin balancing the water), but Ive already used over 1/4 of the Arctic Spa PH Down and I'd like to find a cheaper alternative that I can buy in bulk for lowering my Alkalinity. Can anybody help me out? Thanks

TJ

The thing about using muriatic in a spa is, the amount you need to use (in terms of volume) is about the same as dry acid. In general you would use maybe 1 fl oz, at most 2. With dry acid it's not hard to measure and handle these small amounts using a scoop or spoon. Doing the same with a liquid you really don't want to spill, poured out of a gallon jug, is a little trickier.

I'm not saying don't do it; just be aware of what it means. (I use muriatic in my pool but dry acid in my tub, because I don't want to have to be that finicky with the muriatic.)
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.