Charlotte, NC - Owner Builder

Dparnell

Aug 24, 2015
Marvin, North Carolina
Hello,

My family and I relocated from CA where I built an owner builder pool, to North Carolina and purchased a home without a pool. It‘s time to build again!

I would like to explore the owner builder route again. Is there anyone on the forum that has tackled an owner builder pool in the Charlotte area? I would love to connect and talk about the subs you used and any issues you faced during the build.

Thanks

Just curious, but how much money can you save doing it on your own without a pool contractor?

Agree with above, but it's really hard to tell. I believe we saved 10-15% on our first OB pool. However, we also upgraded things that we likely wouldn't have done with a builder.

That's the secret, it's not always all about the savings, it's about not compromising on what you want because you're already paying the contractor markup on things. Ultimately, if your decision making stays the same either way, I think 20% is a reasonable expectation on savings.

Reactions: Nikilyn
I agree with @OrlandoBull . You can get the options you want for so much less. Like the auto leveler that people on here have said their PB wants to charge them $1500 for costs less than $200. Every tile out there is an option and you can search for the best price. The glass tile I got for my spa was $38 sf one place but I found out for $16 sf. Those kinds of things are hard to put into the savings because you probably wouldn't have gotten them thru a PB.

Hi, I am in Charlotte area too and planning to build a pool and thinking of going through owner builder route. Have you finally decided to go owner-builder route in Charlotte or hired a pool contractor? I would love to connect and get your feedback.

OK - following this closely - just starting to plan out a replacement for my 1996 vinyl pool in Charlotte, NC and looking at all options...

I would entertain it under the right circumstances - if only because getting a reliable general contractor to build a pool seems really difficult right now and it feels like attention to detail has gone out the window. I had a terrible experience with the liner replacement in my current pool - to the point where I had to tell the contractor to no longer come on my property. So - it feels like I either go "all in" with someone like Anthony & Sylvan and just pay whatever they ask, or look at the owner builder option to at least have some control over the process.

Hello,

My family and I relocated from CA where I built an owner builder pool, to North Carolina and purchased a home without a pool. It‘s time to build again!

I would like to explore the owner builder route again. Is there anyone on the forum that has tackled an owner builder pool in the Charlotte area? I would love to connect and talk about the subs you used and any issues you faced during the build.

Thanks
Dparnell, I live in Charlotte and am currently building my own pool. Although I haven't updated my thread in quite some time, the pool is currently a shotcrete shell. I did the excavation, rebar, plumbing, & electrical, so I'm not sure how much I can help from a subcontractor perspective other than shotcrete/gunnite and plaster. Let me know if you have any questions relating to the area and I might be able to help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.