Charlotte, NC - Owner Builder

Dparnell

Aug 24, 2015
Marvin, North Carolina
Hello,

My family and I relocated from CA where I built an owner builder pool, to North Carolina and purchased a home without a pool. It‘s time to build again!

I would like to explore the owner builder route again. Is there anyone on the forum that has tackled an owner builder pool in the Charlotte area? I would love to connect and talk about the subs you used and any issues you faced during the build.

Thanks

Nikilyn

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just curious, but how much money can you save doing it on your own without a pool contractor?
All depends on where you are I think, but we think we'll save about $17,000. We randomly got a bid for our entire pool so that is where our savings are based on that.

OrlandoBull

Jul 30, 2015
Winter Garden , FL
Just curious, but how much money can you save doing it on your own without a pool contractor?

Agree with above, but it's really hard to tell. I believe we saved 10-15% on our first OB pool. However, we also upgraded things that we likely wouldn't have done with a builder.

That's the secret, it's not always all about the savings, it's about not compromising on what you want because you're already paying the contractor markup on things. Ultimately, if your decision making stays the same either way, I think 20% is a reasonable expectation on savings.

Reactions: Nikilyn

Nikilyn

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I agree with @OrlandoBull . You can get the options you want for so much less. Like the auto leveler that people on here have said their PB wants to charge them $1500 for costs less than $200. Every tile out there is an option and you can search for the best price. The glass tile I got for my spa was $38 sf one place but I found out for $16 sf. Those kinds of things are hard to put into the savings because you probably wouldn't have gotten them thru a PB.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.