Charcoal Chunks Coming Out Of Returns?

isergy

Jun 21, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
I've been getting little piles of small black chunks of what appear to be charcoal coming out of my returns.
Any idea why this would be happening and how to remedy?

Thanks!

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_8638.jpg
    IMG_8638.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8583.jpg
    IMG_8583.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 39
This one is a bit of a head scratcher but I have small bits of black charcoal pieces collecting near my returns. They’re like little pieces of burnt matches. This has been happening for months. I have no idea why. Pool guy has no idea either. My filter uses white media. Don’t think there is anything connected to my pool that uses charcoal? I attached a picture. Dying to know if anybody has any theories? Much appreciated.

Attachments

• 0121C5DB-5085-45A8-9F98-2373C37F8903.jpeg
    0121C5DB-5085-45A8-9F98-2373C37F8903.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 41

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So...it sounds like there is nothing I can do. Correct?
From the article, not a dig, it's buried in there:
"The simple solution to solve this problem is to find another less noble metal to use as a sacrificial anode that corrodes but doesn’t cause staining "

Here's one on Amazon. Link

Do NOT just throw a Zinc ring in your skimmer. It does nothing. It has to be plumbed in and connected to your bond wire.

From the article, not a dig, it's buried in there:
"The simple solution to solve this problem is to find another less noble metal to use as a sacrificial anode that corrodes but doesn’t cause staining "

Here's one on Amazon. Link

Do NOT just throw a Zinc ring in your skimmer. It does nothing. It has to be plumbed in and connected to your bond wire.
Ah! I didn’t realize that was possible. Thank you much for the info!

We need to determine if there's copper in the water.

Can you remove the filter cartridges and show a picture of them before you clean them?

Remove the cell and check for scaling, especially blue scale. Look for evidence of the cell plates corroding. Look for metal stains at the exit of the cell.

You can have the water tested for copper.

Do you know of any source of copper, like algaecide or a mineral cartridge or ionizer?

Do you have a picture of the whole pool?

The plaster looks like it has sort of a turquoise color. Is that the original color?

Last edited:
It looks like you had the same issue last year.
My filter uses white media.
What media are you using?
Does your cartridge filter manual say to use any type of media?
Do you have a full set of test results?
It might be something coming out of the heater, but that's difficult to check.

Last edited:
We need to determine if there's copper in the water.

Can you remove the filter cartridges and show a picture of them before you clean them?

Remove the cell and check for scaling, especially blue scale. Look for evidence of the cell plates corroding. Look for metal stains at the exit of the cell.

You can have the water tested for copper.

Do you know of any source of copper, like algaecide or a mineral cartridge or ionizer?

Do you have a picture of the whole pool?

The plaster looks like it has sort of a turquoise color. Is that the original color?
It’s an ivory colored quartz finish. Just looked blue in the first picture because of shadows.
I am always battling high levels of calcium hardness. I lost a cell to CH. I had to drain and refill to solve. I’ve attached a new pic of entire pool.
I can look at filter next time it’s cleaned. I am having my pool guy research and look into the device you linked. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• 285D14C9-04F8-4794-8714-CF91936AF39F.jpeg
    285D14C9-04F8-4794-8714-CF91936AF39F.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 32
It looks like you had the same issue last year.

What media are you using?
Does your cartridge filter manual say to use any type of media?
Do you have a full set of test results?
It might be something coming out of the heater, but that's difficult to check.

You do not show what your TA is. Your CSI should be easy to keep below 0 with that CH.

Are you sure they are black, or really dark blue? Take some and put a drop of acid or vinegar on them. See what happens.

Reactions: isergy
See if the flecks are attracted to a magnet. That would point to iron.

Does the heater have cast iron headers? Check with a magnet.

I would remove the cartridges to see what they look like.

Also, pull the cell to see what you can see in the cell and downstream from the cell.

Reactions: isergy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.