Changing Size Or Depth Of Pool

SR6319

Nov 20, 2020
New Jersey
Current pool size is rectangle 16 X 36 including steps at 1 end. Depth is 9 feet. Vinyl pool. Can pool dimensions be changed? A smaller pool would be ideal. Was thinking 12 X 24. What about depth? Is it easier to just keep current size but have the deep end at just 5 feet.

You can do anything with money.

Changing the wall dimensions will basically be the cost of building a new pool and maybe a bit more.

Changing the depth from 9' to 5' is easier. Fill the 9' depth with gravel or sand bags and then concrete over it at the depth you want. Then have a new liner made for the new depth.

@jimmythegreek may have some thoughts.

I live in New Jersey. Weather is mostly lousy. Pool is covered 8 months a year. When open, pool is used but not daily. Would be easier to maintain and not as bothersome if smaller. Pool is majority of backyard too. We just dot have the need for a large pool. I do think even just changing the depth would be better. Since we do not have a heater, water would overall be warmer.

Reactions: Nikilyn
As Allen pointed out, changing the size would be expensive. Changing the depth would be much easier. I don't know that doing either would make the pool much warmer, or easier to take care of. It would reduce the cost of chemicals needed to maintain the water, but the amount saved over 100 years wouldn't dent the cost of even a modest remodel.

Spending considerably less than the cost of a remodel on a solar heating system would get you a warmer pool and probably extend your swim season.

And taking the time to study what we teach here regarding pool care, and then practicing it, would very likely reduce the amount of time and expense you're putting into your pool. And/or you could spend some of that money on automation and/or a robot cleaner. You could reduce, and probably greatly reduce, the amount of time you spend adding chemicals and brushing and vacuuming. And still have plenty of money left over to hire someone a few times a year to clean your deck and pool filter for the rest of your life.

There are many ways to reduce the maintenance of your pool that would not only cost you less money, they'd actually save you money from what you're spending now, be less work than even a smaller pool would be if you don't modify your MO, and you'll likely end up with cleaner, clearer water.

So welcome to TFP! If you stick around here, and explore what we teach here, I really think we can put you on a better path than a costly remodel...

Thanks for the insight. Pool needs a new liner. I will probably look into the depth. I do have a robot cleaner, a Dolphin by Maytronics. Also last year, purchased a solar cover and Vingli reel. As mentioned pool is just not used that much. Kids are grown and unfortunately the weather in NJ is just not predictable and overall season is short.

Reactions: Dirk
I hear ya. I too was disappointed when the reality of the length of my swim season first sunk in. I was just pointing out that a smaller pool isn't much less work than a larger one, if any. Sounds like you've already got some solutions in place, and if the liner has to be changed anyway then that certainly affects the math I was using for your case. How about a salt water chlorine generator? That can make a huge dent in your weekly tasks. You'll still have to buy and lug chlorine in the coldest months, but the rest of the time you "set it and forget it." I fully automated my pool and do very few pool chores at all anymore.

I haven't yet gotten to the point where my pool is not worth the trouble and expense, but I have contemplated I eventually might. All I've been able to come up with for that eventuality is what I've already done (see my signature) and what I suggested. I definitely put some effort and money into reducing maintenance to the absolute bare minimum. That was money well spent.

The only other abstract I can suggest is to share the pool more. I like to extend invitations to friends and family and especially neighbors and their kids. Friends of friends, too. I probably swim in my pool less than anyone, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of sharing it, and I hope that I always will. That helps me "defer" the cost and trouble of ownership, and frankly it doesn't cost any more to share a pool than to hoard it, maybe a few more dollars worth of chlorine here and there...

Not a huge deal to change depth, especially if you need a liner anyway. To change size is the cost of a new pool and demo of old one. Not worth it. Solar works great if you have the room and sun available. My pool is in the 90s most of the season with free heat from panels. A warm pool gets used much more in this climate

Not a huge deal to change depth, especially if you need a liner anyway. To change size is the cost of a new pool and demo of old one. Not worth it. Solar works great if you have the room and sun available. My pool is in the 90s most of the season with free heat from panels. A warm pool gets used much more in this climate
Jimmy, did you even notice if the solar heater extended your swim season?

Dirk it did a little, but not much. I'm never here I've been in my own pool a handful of times at most. Wife and kids wont go I'm if it isnt around 90 or better. For normal people you would get a few weeks overall. I see the gas bill go up may and september but not much, the combo of solar and gas is good

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yah, same here. Maybe two weeks on each end of the season (four total). My pool rarely gets to 90°, and never that in Spring or Fall. Solar seems to add about 5-10° to whatever the temp would have been without it. I'll get in as low as 70°, so that's what gives me a 6-month season. So @SR6319, there is some "real-world" experience with solar heat, from each side of the country.

+1 for the fact: the warmer it is, the more it will get used. I said before that reducing the depth won't help much with that, but I was referring to what the sun could do on its own. If you use a heater, either solar or gas or maybe a heat pump, then the smaller the pool the less it will cost to heat. Or in the case of a solar heater, the warmer it will get (after the initial expense of installing a solar heating system, heating the pool is close to free, just the cost of running the pump).

So if heating the pool is a possibility, then decreasing the depth will definitely be a plus.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.