Changing sand in Hayward filter

StephanieDee

Aug 6, 2023
Smithtown, NY
I am confused as to whether or not sand needs to be changed in a 7 year old Hayward Pro Series 310t. Some websites say sand needs to be changed every 3-5 years, while others say sand will not ever wear out. We've had some issues this year with our water getting cloudy. It's been a rainy, humid summer in the northeast, so I'm not sure if that's par for the course, or if it's my sand. What are everyone's thoughts about sand replacement?

Finally, I saw a video that showed pulling out the screen at the bottom of the drain to let the sand and water out that way by flushing with hose. Anyone ever hear of this? Thanks so much!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Our position is no, sand does not need to be changed. Sand doesn't just wear out, however it can be compromised with certain pool store products like floc that can impact its ability to filter properly. In the majority of cases, cloudy water is a sign of poor water chemistry. Tell us more about how you test your water and show us a full list of water test results. That would be a good place to start.

Also see -----> Pool Care Basics

Reactions: StephanieDee
There is this article as well.

Thank you so much for your reply. Here are our readings:

Free Chlorine: 3.74
Total Chlorine: 4.39
PH: 7.4
Calcium Hardness: 1.68
Total Alkalinity: 89
Cyanuric Acid: 129
Copper: 0.1

We have a 45,000 gallon pool.
We have since cleared the pool with clarifier, shock, and copper remover.

One suggestion- I tried to replace the sand in a neglected pool/filter in a house we had moved into. Large parts of the sand bed were completely calcified, it was almost like concrete. I tried muriatic acid, chipping away at pieces with various tools, broke part of the filter, wasted lots of time, the riser piping broke and I didn't even get 1/3 of the sand removed. If you open yours and it's anything like that on the top I would strongly suggest just buying a new filter.

Good luck :)

Sorry, I'm new to this site and not sure what I'm doing. I have to figure out how to make a signature. LOL. I got these readings from the pool store. I brought them a sample and they gave me the readings. She thought the pool was green and cloudy from Copper. It has cleared up now. I'm just wondering if my sand needs to be changed at the end of the season. From the replies, I'm leaning towards not changing the sand. Our pool is usually spotless. We run the Dolphin multiple times a day and there is rarely anything in the skimmer. It's just that it took a while at the opening to clear the green/turquoise tint and again a few weeks ago after the extreme heat and humidity. I think I may try to deep clean the sand in the filter rather than replace. I don't want to make matters worse! Thank you for the replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.